Home media Server

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nitro1, Jun 16, 2009.

?

Which Home media Server

1. Drobo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hp Home Media Server

57.1%
  3. Other (If other please List below)

42.9%
  1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

Looking for a home server What do you recommend. Account for price and amount of data able to store.

2. bropo macrumors newbie

well, if youre tech savvy make your own with linux and a crappy computer, the specifications are up to you!

3. cz3ch macrumors newbie

I side with bropo. You can piece together a rather large capacity SAN/NAS for 400-500USD. It will play nice with pretty much any OS you throw at it.

4. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

The new HP Mediasmart server works with Macs and works great with Time Machine, iTunes and as a general media server. The only drawback is that the control interface requires Windows (and no, it doesn't work in Parallels or virtualization mode).

5. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I has a thecus n3200 NAS. It has a few extras to serve content but its essentially happy raiding my data onto 3x1Tb disks and throwing it out to 2 macs and 1 windows machine via smb or afp.

I can't talk about performance benchmarks but I can tell you it streams music and video just fine to windows machine running itunes and windows media player and mini running plex, which is what i need it to do, and that counts rather more to me than a benchmark does ;-)

It's pretty quiet (not silent when being hammered to stream movies though) and sleeps when idle (which is good as its currently in my bedroom while i redecorate teh house), doesn't generally give me much hassle at all. Reasonable web interface that works with firefox, safari, from windows or mac.

Other than the fact that when I upgrade I'll probably want something that supports more/bigger drives, I'd be happy to buy another one, lets put it that way.

6. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I built a server on newegg for about 370 with a 1tb HD. I of course will add more when the money comes up. It is going to be a summer project for me and a buddy. pretty nice specs. Motherboard, CPU, Ram case, Power supply, and the HD. For only 370. I am pretty happy.