Home network help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crzdcolombian, Sep 26, 2013.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

So I got a bonus from work and just got a iphone 5s and new imac last week. I thought to myself why not just give Apple all my money and get a new apple airport extreme tho I am also looking at the time capsule.

My thing is I have comcast and they lease me a wireless modem/router for $7 bucks a month. Which comes out to be a little under 90 bucks after taxes and have been paying this for a couple years.

I want to buy a Docsis 3.0 Modem and then buy a Airport extreme. Anyone have a good suggestion for a Docsis 3.0 modem? Best Buy which is the only electronics store near me(don't count target or walmart) only has Docsis 3.0 Modem with built in wireless N which run around $100-150.

Anyone in a similar situation? Is AC airport extreme over kill. My comcast speed is only 50mbps. Getting about 44-46 up, 12 download speed. I am thinking ac to future proof it a little and because all the computers in my apartment are 2013 Macs(4 airs, 1 iMac). Live in Boston in a old building. The comcast N modem/router we have isn't all that bad. Just looking for something better.

2. wepiii macrumors 6502a

I would just keep my current setup and use the AirPort Extreme in bridge mode

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Variation on a theme -

Skip the modem's wireless capability and use a cable directly to a wifi router you buy and of your choice.

The new Airport Extreme (AC) rates as only fair. I suggest you go to smallnetbuilder site and read the reviews of various AC wifi routers. My guess is that for your needs the Airport Extreme would be a reasonable purchase if you prefer software on your computer controlling the AE. Most routers you get to them via a web interface to make control/admin change.

I would never use the combo modem router wifi as they are often not the latest generation of firmware/chipsets and no way to confirm if any firmware updates were made by your provider. If you want to buy a modem, consider one that doesn't include wifi like a decent motorola or Zyxel (sp).

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You can get Docsis 3.0 modems from online sources as well. I got mine from Amazon. I would skip one with the built-in wireless and get just the modem. Comcast should have a list of preferred devices, I suggest getting one of those. I have the Motorola SB6141 but I'm on Time Warner.

5. tbarney macrumors member

I'm using a Motorola SB6121 with Airport Extreme on Time Warner, 50meg down and 5meg up. No issues, works perfectly with six iPhones, six iPads, one iMac, one MacMini, three wireless network cameras, Synology DiskStation and a couple work PC's. Key is to place the extreme to make sure you get the best wireless coverage.

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I agree with you there. I did the same thing. I didn't want the built in wireless, maily for purposes up router upgrade/features. Like the guy after you, I got the SB6121 though. It was about a year ago....no issues even though it wasn't listed on Time Warners site as a compatible modem at the time.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I was in the same situation with Time Warner and the modem fee. I bought myself a Motorola SB6141 and use it with my Time Capsule.

The SB6141 is a bump up from the SB6121 in that it can bond eight channels rather than only the four channels of the 6121. According to this Comcast is using eight channel bonding.

Both are on Comcast's supported list here.