Home Network, Playing Shared Video Files, Stutter

Discussion in 'macOS' started by philosopherdog, Dec 21, 2009.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

I have the most recent iMac and Macbook Pro on my home network. I'm sharing files between machine and both are using wifi through a Linksys Router. I have video files (avi's) on one machine that I'm playing on the other machine. The files play no problem but their is an intermittent halting. I probably wouldn't call it a stutter exactly. It stops playing and the screen halts at a particular frame, and then after a bit it starts playing again. I'm wondering if this is normal behaviour or if I have something setup incorrectly on my network. Also, I'm wondering what the solution to this is other than copying the files from one machine to the other.

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Bandwidth Limitation

My guess: the wifi is probably barely keeping up with the amount of data you need to transfer to view a video across the wireless.

Remember that wifi is a "hub" technology. You may have a 54 Megabit router (802.11g) but that 54 Mbit is *shared*. On a modern wired network, each computer has 100 Mbit or 1000 Mbit *each*.

If something else on your network, or even one of the two computers, needs a little bandwidth for a moment, it could cause the stutter/pause you described.

To solve, either plug one (or both) of the computers into a wired network or put the media files on a third, always-wired computer and view them from there.