Home network question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smiler1968, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Smiler1968 macrumors newbie

Hello all.

I have a AirPort Extreme on the Middle floor of my home. It is used as my wireless provider and time machine. I am aware that I can extend my wireless network by adding an airport express. I actually get a wireless signal throughout my home but the speed drops significantly downstairs. If I extend the setup with an airport express (wirelessly) that will not boost the signal/speed ( if I understand correctly). Am I able to hardware from the AirPort Extreme into a Ethernet plug adaptor and then down stairs take another Ethernet cable from another plug adaptor and plug in the airport express? Will that give me about the same speed as I see on the Middle floor? If it's possible, will it all run off the same wireless network ( or will I end up with two wireless systems in the house)? I hope that all makes sense. It sort of does in my head.

Regards

Jerry.

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

You need the two devices linked by ethernet and the second device needs to be in bridge mode.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hello,

Yes you can do this.

Yes it will : same speed

It will run off the same wireless network if you set it up as a roaming network : set the Express with same SSID (network name), same security, same password as the Extreme.
    Set the wifi channels on auto for both or set manually to different (non overlapping) channels.

See : https://support.apple.com/en-mn/HT4260

Also : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202056

4. Smiler1968 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's a great help.

----------

I was just looking up bridge mode when Bruno09 posted a very helpful link. Thanks very much.

5. Smiler1968 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

It's worth trying, but try to make sure you can return it if it doesn't work. Powerline ethernet can work well, but it can also work miserably. Much depends on your house's wiring, and you can't do anything about that.

I set up a powerline network to solve the same problem, and it never worked reliably at high speed, although there usually was a signal. But it was never as good as advertised, and it wasn't the fault of the unit -- the house had old and strangely-organized wiring and the signal just couldn't make its way over the copper.

So it might work well for you, but it might not. Thus my advice to make sure you can return it if it's not effective.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I've never really understood how those work, as the wiring on each floor is on a separate circuit in most houses.
    However we have some at work got the warehouse downstairs and they work well.