Home Network Set Up Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ncboston, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ncboston macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a bunch of apple components and I am looking for the "best" set up to build on my current home network.

Here is my current set up:

Time Capsule (2012) set up as WIFI router
    MacBook (2008ish) using Lion w/ 500GB HD + Max on Ram using for Itunes, Photos, Videos and Internet (4 kids, so I have alot of videos and photos)
    Apple TV (We dont have cable so we live off this and mirroring from MacBook for channels w/out apple tv app)
    Printer over WIFI
    2 internal HDs in cases to use them as external HDs for extra storage of Videos
    2 Iphones + Ipad + Ipod

Time Machine backs up MacBook to TimeCapsule, and there is nothing else on the TimeCapsule HD.

I am in the market for an iMac (probably going to be 21.5" w/ 1TB from the refurbished section of the apple store)

I want to move over everything to the iMac, put my video library on a SSHD or hybrid HD and connect to the iMac. I would like to then use my current macbook for internet only but create a network that would allow me to access any video or photo files that are on the iMac or external HD

The iMac is going to sit literally next to the Time capsule so it might make sense to connect it over LAN vs Wifi to save on the wifi capacity?

My big questions is...can this be done with an iMac out of the box? What is the best way to wire this or configure this all up?

End of the day I am going to be 100% reliant on :apple:apple:apple: but I am hoping that all my devices will talk to each other and be synched up. And with the new iMac i'll finally be able to run the latest OSX and enjoy the devices to their fullest (until next year when something newer comes out)

Thanks for the help!:)

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I think this article deals in detail with all the alternatives:

http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...ac-iphone-and-ipad-the-ultimate-guide-1093215

Good luck!

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

For video may I suggest is a Synology NAS DS214Play. This way you could put your videos on it and see them on your TV that is connected to your local network. Then with the Synology software VPN sever you could use the cell phones VPN client software and connect to the NAS server and view the videos on the go. Plus you could store your iTunes Library on the Synology by watching this video.