Home Network Set Ups

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by N.B.Morton, Sep 21, 2008.

1. N.B.Morton macrumors newbie

N.B.Morton

I have been trying to do some research on setting up a nice home/media network and have not been able to find much reference anywhere about it for Macs. I have an iMac at home as well as a macbook and I was just trying to see what kind of set ups people are running and how well they are working out. I am definitely interested in the Apple TV and time capsule and would like to see what peoples opinions are on them as well. If anyone out there has a nice set up they are proud of let me know what your running.

2. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I have a Linksys WRT54GL acting as a router and a wireless G access point. Also have an Apple Extreme N connected to a Gigabit Netgear 8 port switch. Attached to the Extreme is a 500GB Seagate for use with Time Machine for my MacBook Pro and G5. Extreme is providing N wireless services, mostly, for the MacBook Pro since only it supports N.

Have a PC with an AMD 2.1GHz Dual Core running Ubuntu 8.04 with 2GB RAM. It is functioning as a Apple File Share server with 4 500GB Seagates in a RAID 5 setup; Total disk space is then 1.5 TB. On my MacBook Pro, I run MediaLink and Connect 360 to serve media files to my PS3 and XBox 360.

There is a lot more detail and services running on the AMD, but that is beyond the scope of this short post.

Daze

3. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

My set up

Apple Airport extreme __ wired to iMac__WD MyBook studio 1TB
    >>wireless to >>PS3
    >>>>>>>>>>>Wii
    >>>>>>>>>>>MBA
    >>>>>>>>>>>MB
    >>>>>>>>>>>thinkpad

Works well

4. paduck macrumors 6502

If possible, I would recommend getting a wired solution between at least your broadband, your computer and your home entertainment system. That is going to give you a lot of reliability and a minimum 100 megabit connection speed between your media location and your computer.

Having said that, at the moment, I don't have a wired solution myself. I will move that direction as soon as possible though. I think that it opens up a lot of possibilities that being exclusively wireless leaves out.

Here is my configuration at the moment:

Cable Internet->Linksys WRT54G (running DD-WRT firmware)
    Hard wired->iMac G3 (for kids), Linksys PAP2 VOIP converter
    Wireless->iMac G5 (main computer), Apple TV (which I do NOT stream video to), Airport Express (for AirTunes), iPhone

I'd like to run wires to my iMac G5 and Apple TV. I would also like to hook up some sort of networked storage, although for my current configuration, an external Firewire/USB array for backup would probably be sufficient. The wired network would give me a much faster, more reliable connection between various locations. Wireless would still be available as an option for AirTunes, laptops and iPhone, etc.

I would be very interested in some sort of iTunes media server option that would be a central storage place for all my audio and video files. That way, I would have access without having to have my computer running with iTunes up (which I actually don't do now). However, no such device exists right now. With all the various hard drives/storage I have (computer, Apple TV, two iPods, Apple TV, etc.) it would be nice to have everything centralized and shared - but not on the computer itself.