Home Network setup ???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Claybe, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Claybe macrumors newbie

Hi, this is my first post here. I need some help setting up a home network that can be accessed only by the computers in my house (2 macs and 2 pcs). I would like a central location that I can put files from all computers and store important files, pictures and videos and be able to access them from any computer. Also, I would like to be able to print from any computer. Here's what I have at my disposal currently:
    1. Mac Powerbook G4
    2. Mac Tower G5
    3. printer
    4. Airport express
    5. printer
    6. PC
    7. PC
    I don't understand how to configure all of this to work together. Any help or explanations would be appreciated.

Clay

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You have two printers? As far as I know you can only connect one to the AirPort Express, so you'd have to connect the other to one of the other computers on your network and share that. Usually the AirPort Express would connect directly to your modem.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Why not look at the Time Capsule. I know that you can hang a multi port usb hub of the back of it. It would have storage on the hard drive built in, support for your printers for wireless printing, g' and n' dual channel frequencies if you get a brand new one.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Because it's about $200 overpriced?

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Ok then look at an Airport Extreme?

Im using a Time Capsule and found it too work flawlessly. Not sure how easy it is setting up the extreme, plus you have to buy the Hard Drive. For me it was the obvious choice.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

200$ overpriced?
    eh well for his set up it might be a good deal.

I mean a solution tool that has a built in 1TB drive, plus USB connection (able to connect a HUB) dual band support for whatever type of system he has to throw at it, a back up device for both macs and a local storage device.

seems more capable than using a airport express and complicating the set up by trying to share other computers ports on the network and may or may not work the way he wants them too, etc.

looking at a 1tb drive & enclosure plus a decent router with good range and and a port to share network devices is probably the same or higher but not in "all in one" package.

Id just settle for the time capsule, get a nice HUB to share your printers and perhaps harddrives if you need to down the road etc.

7. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

You already have a network if you have an Airport Express. Are all of your computers accessing the internet that way?

Your PowerBook probably uses the least power of the four computers mentioned, if left on all the time, so I'd start by using it as your file server. Attach a big hard drive to it via Firewire and put all of the files you need to share on that drive.

Then get into the Sharing System Preferences and share that drive. It might take a while to get all of the machines configured to be able to see the shared disk but it shouldn't be too difficult. It's hard to answer every question here that might come up.

Then also connect a printer to that Mac and get into the Print & Fax system preference and share that printer. Again, it might take some figuring to get all of the computers to see the printer.

As others mentioned, an Apple Time Capsule might be an easy route to take but it's costly and won't be as fast at sharing as a computer dedicated to that task.