Home Network solutions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vectorccm, Feb 23, 2010.

1. vectorccm macrumors newbie

Hi,

I live with a friend a i would like to setup our computers so we can use the following component together:

PS3
    plasma TV
    Imac 24inch 2.4
    Macbook Pro 13inch 2.53
    2x1to lacie External HDD

I would like to have an access to the hard drives from any computers and I would also like to use them with my PS3(that is main issue)

I know my question maybe not seem so clear but I would like to discuss the subject because we will in fact be moving together this summer and I would like to setup everything when we arrive

Thank you in advance for all your answers

2. Wardotron macrumors member

It's all there really. If you get an Airport Extreme Base Station for WIFI, you can share your iTunes to the PS3 via NullRiver Software's MediaLink or similar.

3. vectorccm thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a D-Link router, is there a way I can wirelessly connect an airport express to my router and connect the Hard drives in the usb port so I can use them wirelessly?

thank you

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

If its a wireless router ... probably.
    If not, then you need an ethernet cable.

My understanding is that the USB port on the Airport Express is printer only.

5. projectone macrumors member

if i remember right, you will need to get a airport extreme as the express will support only one device. If you like your dlink you can also bride your extreme which is how i am right now. a wrt54gl with tomato firmware that does all my dhcp, mac address blocking, blacklisting, firewall, etc.... while my airport extreme gives me wifi and sharing my printers and time machine.

or if you don't want to spend alot of money, I can also see the hdds connected to imac (in theory that your imac is always on) that can connect to dlink(i recommend ethernet) that shares to ps3 as well as sharing to anyone else on the network.