Home Network Wiring Help....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by anim8or, Apr 20, 2010.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I am currently renovating my house and am installing a wired network...

Can anyone help me out with what i should be using to get the best result for my needs:-

I have a Mac Pro in my office which is my primary work computer, this is the main server for all my files and movies and music,

In the lounge i have a PS3 for movies and music streamed from the Mac Pro,

I also have an xBox 360 in the lounge for gaming,

In the bedroom i have Apple TV, again for streaming movies and music....

My thoughts are to have a 4 port Wireless Modem Router in the office where each port is connected to a patch panel which would in turn distribute to the various other rooms, the wireless signal for sharing with laptops and phones, etc...

Am i correct in thinking that this solution will share both the internet and LAN with the various rooms through rj45 sockets at each end point, thus i only need the appropriate cabling, the 4 port wireless modem router and a patch panel located next to the router????

Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, your assumptions are correct If I haven't misread the info you gave.

Will you use Gigabit cables and switches?

3. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Yeah i intend to... i am currently looking into what hardware to get...?

Am i correct in saying that a patch panel is merely a termination/connection point for the internal wiring.... ie a a kind of hub as it were for the cabling to exit my walls and be connected to the router?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As far as I understand networking devices, yes.

You can even connect another switch at the patch panel and at the output in the wall. That's how our workplace is "wired".

5. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Would this mean, for example, i could keep both the PS3 and the xBox wired at the same time by placing a switch in the lounge with one input cable and 2 output cables.....? owuld this supply both LAN and internet to both devices?

I am pretty sure i understand it all but just wanna make sure now so i dont have to re-do all the wiring at a later point for overlooking something now...

:)

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, you can use a switch and that would provide connection to the PS3 and Xbox.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, you can do that.

Look for the maximum number of devices though (I'm unsure about the number, but it will be in the three digit area I think) , but you will have less than 16 or 32 connected at any time, so that should be no problem.

8. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

So just to clarify:-

4 port ADSL Modem Router -- Patch Panel -- Lounge -- Switch -- Xbox & PS3

and the patch panel will also feed the bedroom and office sockets through internal wall wiring.....

Correct?

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I would go pick up an 8 or 10 port gigabit switch and let them wire with Cat 6 if the walls are open. That would keep you going for quite a while. This way you can always expand your options.

Personally, I have a bunch of crap connected. My TV, my receiver, ATV, PS3, Wii, a second wireless router (for 5Ghz wireless N on the first floor).

Seriously, if it's open put a bunch of ports behind the entertainment center. At least 6, 4 if you have no real choice. You can always bridge switches and routers if you have to.

They make nice wall plates so it doesn't look like crap. Believe me, you may not use them now, but everything that's coming out today is connected.

At a minimum, I would wire up anything that you plan to have carry video.

As far as connecting it, you can run the switch to your existing router.

Also try and centralize the switch, so if you want to run a cable down to the basement you can. Even if that cable ends up at another wireless router so you can have another network for your basement devices.

10. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

I live in a 3 bed single storey house.... i intend on putting 1 port in the lounge, 1 in each bedroom (bed 3 being my home office)... hence the 4 port modem router... I want each device to access my server and the internet.

Can you suggest a linear setup of devices that would suit my purposes....?

I most likely add more ports now that you have suggested it... it does make sense.

11. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Agreed...wire it up everywhere if the house is still open...at least one port in every room. Patch it all down to a patch panel in a central location, and then connect it to a switch. You can always get small switch for now and connect the few devices you want to connect, and then expand later if you need a bigger switch.

12. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Most new devices coming out now are wired for the internet. My Pioneer TV has internet connectivity and can stream movies from DLNS (forget which MS standard) servers. My Apple TV can stream from iTunes, I also stream music and movies from an NAS box on the network. My Receiver can stream internet radio, which is pretty cool.

Most of the devices can do Wireless, but bandwidth is an issue.

I have a set of managed switches, but you certainly don't need anything elaborate.

Something like this from Netgear would be just fine.

You can look through the Netgear site for others, but they are all relatively cheap. You can check buy.com and fleabay for better prices as well.

I'm sure someone else can help with switches they have used.