home network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sleepyyellow, Oct 24, 2009.

1. sleepyyellow macrumors regular

hey all,

my home network setup is pretty weird and im having problems connecting between my G4 with Leopard and my MBP with SL.
    basically i have a static ip with a zyntex or something ADSL modem, then i have a switch and after the switch i got a 10Mbps Brack Firewall router...and today i bought an Airport Express to get internet at places i dont want to lay down cables. so anyway i noticed once i hooked up i can see my G4 but i cant connect to it. if i use a cable tho it work. does anybody know how to fix this problem?

btw the airport is connected to the switch so is the G4, all the PCs are connected thru the brack router......

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If I'm reading correctly both the firewall router and the AE are hooked to the switch, and you can't access things on the AE from things on the router... is that right?

If so, I'd assuming it's working as designed--the firewall router is blocking file sharing access to stuff on the other side of it. I'm not quite seeing why you have both a switch and firewall router; you should be fine with just Modem-->Router-->AE/computers

With this layout you wouldn't want the AE doing any kind of firewalling/DHCP, as the router would handle that; I'm not sure how/if to configure that, since I've never set one of those up before, but if there's an option to have it act as a dumb switch/bridge, that's what you want.

Assuming your switch is a "dumb" switch (no firewall/management at all), you could also attach it downstream of the router if you need extra ports. With that configuration you should be protected from the outside world and able to see everything internally.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats if he has a router with a built in switch... he might just have a single ethernet port router and needs the switch to connect his computers.

put the router behind the switch and then you will have a firewall and NAT protecting you from the internets and will not block computers connecting together on the LAN.

4. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Make certain your computers and AE use the same wireless security protocol (WEP, WPA, WPA2...). I once had an older G4 Mac on a network. It only supported WEP but new AE software defaulted to WPA or WPA2. After running the AE Assistant, the G4 vanished.

The whole network had to have a weaker encryption to support the G4. Eventually I decided to let that old computer connect to the network via wired Ethernet so a faster, more secure protocol could be implemented on the newer Macs.

5. sleepyyellow thread starter macrumors regular

ok, let me rewrite the situation, i suck at explaining stuff. well the only reason why i got the switch between the modem and router is because i noticed my router only works with 10Mbps, but since i like file sharing in my homenetwork i prefer getting my 100Mbps, but since i read that the AE only has 54Mbps im fine with that (Still better then 10). i forgot to mention that the G4 is connected thru the cable and it doesnt go over the router it is also directly connected to the switch and the switch does not have a NAT or anything. so it is a "dumb" switch. that is why i dont quiet get it, because theres nothing between them and i set my AE on bridge mode so its just part of the internet. i hope this make more sense and again the G4 is connected thru the cable so i dont really get why talking about the WEB encryption.

ps. THANKS FOR THE REPLYS :)

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the firewall in the router may be giving you some LAN connection problems (im guessing, may be wrong) so try temporarily placing the router between the switch and modem.

if you have the router between the switch and modem you will still get a gigabit LAN as only the internet connection will travel thru the router and DHCP will still be supplied to the switch.

7. sleepyyellow thread starter macrumors regular

wow, i didnt think of that. great thanks!

now its working for some reason.