Home networking pros

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RC23, Sep 23, 2011.

1. RC23 macrumors newbie

I have the linksys Linksys WRT 310N, which is a wireless N router.

Currently, my wifi signal to my ps3 is 77%. When I do a connection test I get 1Mpbs. As soon as I go wired from the router, I get 10Mbps.

I'm about 30ft from the router.

I'd rather not run a wire from where the router is, to my ps3.

I'm trying to find a router that can give me a signal comparable to going wired. (~100% and at least 5mpbs?)

Also, when I try to stream videos from my server to my ps3, it freezes whenever the stream goes over 2MB/s. Would a stronger signal help this or do I need to use ethernet?

Does anyone think this, Linksys E4200 would do the trick? Or would I have the same problem?

THX!

2. tofast2belast macrumors newbie

in relation to your router, where is the ps3 located? how many walls separate the ps3 from the router?

also are you configured to use wireless n or no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9am_JEJCsCw here is a video to see if your connecting wireless n mode....

also download istumbler

http://www.istumbler.net/

and check if there are any other wireless networks using same channels as you are. this can cause interference and possibly causing your issue...

also if you go to apps folder>utilities>network utility>select airport in the "select network interface for information" drop down and see the link speed...

im not sure about your router, but on mine i have to use wpa mixed in order to use wireless N.

the ps3 is wireless g is it not?

so changing the router wont have an affect for that

3. RC23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, looks like I'm the only one in the area on channel 11. Everyone else is on 6.(they must have a lot of signal issues?)

My Macbook Pro (2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo) Is only getting 35% signal and I'm 30' away from the router. There are 1-2 walls in the way (its going through hallways to get to where I am)

Would getting a signal extender/booster work? Or would getting the newer router solve the problems with its dual band-ness?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Linksys WRT 310N has low reviews on Amazon.

Ones with external antenna are better.

I suggest doing a cable. In the door way you can get a rubbery overlay for it to prevent tripping.

5. waynep macrumors 6502

Antennas are important. I have the larger Linksys external antennas on my WRT54GS. The larger add on antennas made a huge difference.