Home Networking setup trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macblack, Jan 10, 2010.

1. macblack macrumors newbie

I have an Intel iMac and Macbook connecting just fine to my netgear router. Airport signals are great throughout the house. A friend dropped off an old PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver) which I placed down the hall in my daughter's room. It didn't have an airport card, so I installed an aftermarket one. The airport setup utility continually kicks out my login password to my home network saying it's incorrect (am sure it's right) and there is no signal indication in the finder.
    iMac is running Leopard 10.5.x
    Macbook is 10.4.x
    G4 is 10.2
    Is there a workaround for this? I've tried piggybacking an older router to see if that would help and finally get a signal indication, but it still doesn't like the password .... any ideas? thx

2. Jacko30 macrumors newbie

Try using a different password encryption technique. I thinks its like something from WEP to WPA or something like that.

3. macblack thread starter macrumors newbie

4. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

You need to get into your router's configuration webpage. Usually you can just type 192.168.1.1 or 198.168.0.1 into a browser and then enter your username and password (default is usually admin and password).

In there go to the wireless section and there will be an option to swap between WEP, WPA or WPA2... WEP is the oldest and least secure but also the most compatible. WPA2 is more secure but I bet OS X 10.2 is having proplems with it due to it being an very old OS.

5. macblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Louis! was able to get into my router config, changed over to WEP, even went so far as to download an old version of Safari since computer only had IE, am still unable to go online (server could not be found error).
    Any other thoughts?

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Put a " $ " in front of the password on the computer having the problems connecting. I forget all the details now, but a couple of years ago I was having problems getting a Mac to connect, and had tried a bunch of things, and that was the tip that saved my day. Its a long shot, but it is worth a try.

Good Luck.