Home Networks - Describe yours

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spamdumpster, Mar 15, 2008.

1. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Didn't see a thread describing different peoples home networks. I'd like to see what others have done and maybe gets some ideas. I have a pretty solid home network, but I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I built my house in 2004 and I wired it with ethernet. Eight ethernet cables meet in my garage and are connected with a switch. I have cable modem, and a Netgear Rangemax router in an office/bedroom. All of the bedrooms are wired. I have an iMac in our kitchen/family room (it's all one big space). I finished the basement and added a 4-port switch and 3 more ethernet jacks.

I have 2 Macs, the iMac in the kitchen and a Macbook in the office, and a couple of a Dell laptops that I grab if I need connectivity in another room. I also have a windows XP box, with no keyboard, mouse, or monitor, that acts a NAS, with 1.1 TB storage. One of the drives attached to the NAS is the time machine backup for our iMac. I also access the NAS box frequently using RDC and run background tasks, like auto backing up my media, downloading torrents, etc. All of my docs, digital pics, and home videos get backed up twice a day. I also bought a fireproof safebox and back everything up once every couple of weeks to a couple of 500 GB drives.

Also have a network printer, 2 linksys network webcams so I can check on things from work, and 2 airport expresses to stream music. One of the cameras and one of the airports are wired, the others are wireless.

The next thing I'm going to add is an aTV. I wasn't smart enough to put an ethernet jack where my downstairs tv is, so I want to wire up something from the basement, so that the aTV will be wired, not wireless. I also want to replace the Router with an Airport Extreme.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've got all 3 computers within 25 feet of the AEBS (and DSL modem), but I connect the two physically closest with ethernet. The laptop about 25 feet away is wireless, but Mac OS's wireless has stunk since the 10.5.2 update. I usually get a 3-bar signal, sometimes 2.

I have an AppleTV about 35 feet away in another direction that connects fine with wireless. This house is 40 years old, so there's not much I can do about rigging it how I want. It sure would be nice if the nerds could fix 802.11n and make it way more reliable than it is now.

I also have a pair of HDDs hooked up to the AEBS. I use them to store TV shows and movies that stream to iTunes and AppleTV. I had to downgrade the AEBS to 7.1.1 firmware because 7.2.2, well, sucks.

3. chinarider macrumors regular

Mish-Mash

Cable modem going into the basement, wired to my main PC, Color Laser, and Linksys router, soon to upgrade to 'N'.

Wireless clients include (2) Tivos (1 in basement - series 2 SD w/DVD, 1 series 3 HD upstairs), wife's work laptop upstairs, and new MBP in basement.

Besides 'N' Upgrade will be a Canon Photo printer (deal with Apple) and shipped but not received Lacie 2big Network Disk.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Airport Extreme Base Station with an Airdisk running n only 5GHz hooked to cable modem.

D-Link 624+ b/g router bridged via ether to the AEBS.

XBox 360 Elite via ether to the AEBS.

2 iMacs and a MacBook via n to the AEBS.

1 Mac mini + iPod touch + Wii + 3 DS Lites via b/g to the D-Link.