Home Newtork Hardware...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by parkineaj, Dec 2, 2007.

1. parkineaj macrumors newbie

Hi there, newbe question.

I am a fairly new mac convert, and now have a wireless home network with mi Intel iMac & old windows laptop.

I am currently using Airport Express to stream iTunes to my stereo in the lounge, which is great!

I am shortly moving house and want to set up my perfect home network. I want to achieve a number of new things, mainly:

- shared broadband over iMac + work laptops/Mac book
    - Network shared storage (for iTunes sharing?)
    - Streaming TV/Music/Photos onto TV
    - Satellite TV with recordability function

I have researched a lot about Apple TV and it seems almost what I want...?? But there is no incorporation of satelite TV or ability to record?

What would my best set up be??

TIA.

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

The satellite will be totally separate from everything else. Your satellite provider will provide you a set top DVR and you will not be able to share this over the network. Satellite is proprietary and encrypted and only the provider's own hardware can deal with it.

For streaming stuff onto the TV, the Apple TV would be the best option.

It doesn't sound like a very complicated network there - all you should need is the ATV and a router (presumably wireless). Just connect all Macs + ATV + shared storage (NAS?) to the router, either wired (faster) or wirelessly (more convenient).