Home office business owners

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, May 25, 2015.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Just wondering for all those business owners that have a home office what their best practices would be for productivity? Considering it can at times be difficult considering its at home and/or you may or may not see a lot of clients physically coming into your home as many ppl perform their businesses online.

Aside from the productivity question, I don't mind others taking lead of the thread with their own home business and office related inquiries.

Cheers!

2. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I've been working from home since for 6 years. I know that having a set schedule really helps. Sometimes for me, waking up early helps too.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Certainly having a work routine is helpful for many people.

I go out for coffee and when I return home, it's work time!

If you live with family, children or friends who are apt to be around during all or part of the day, you have to have a work space you can shut the door so they don't bother you and you aren't tempted to spend time with them instead of working.

And no computer games during your scheduled work time!

4. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Or pets.

But you can't shut them out, because they're far too cute. And you really should stop and play with them, because they can't possibly comprehend what "work time" means and would be SO upset if you shut them out - and they'd just dig up the carpet otherwise :p

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

my cats figured out how to deal with this........just lie down on the iMac's keyboard.......got my attention every time :D

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, - and I have worked from home quite a lot in recent years, whenever I am not abroad, and I would argue that two things are absolutely necessary in order for this to work: The first is time.

Therefore, I think that the key is to try to ring fence time that is dedicated to your work; it doesn't really matter whether it is morning evening, or night as long as it is regular, somewhat predictable, enforceable (no distractions, kids, pets or other stuff).

And the second is space - a dedicated office space that is yours, and for your work, and is a place where you can shut the door, and shut then (domestic) world out. That, too, needs to be enforced - and fairly strictly.

7. CarlHataway macrumors newbie

CarlHataway

As a retired police officer and now a retired video production company owner my home office is for whatever I want to do there, and I'm loving it!!!

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Get a good chair. You'll be sitting in it quite a lot.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent advice, and well worth the price.

A little over two years ago, I ordered an executive chair (custom made to order by the German company Klöber) for my office, and it has made a huge difference to my comfort.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I work from home and here's my chair :eek:
    Capto_Capture 2017-03-10_06-59-18_AM.png

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Wouldn't recommend that for - at all - for my back, or thighs, or posture or comfort. For one thing, there is no support. Actually, I wouldn't even regard that as a comfortable chair on which to sit to sip a cup of coffee on a veranda. At the very least, I'd need a cushion.

Not if you plan to spend several hours a day writing and reading in front of a computer. If your office is your life, and your income, you owe it to yourself to get a proper, comfortable, ergonomic chair.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been using that chair for well over 15 years, I suppose my spine has molded to the contours of the chair. I do have a cushion to help :)

13. Scepticalscribe, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I used to use an old armchair that my parents had got when they married - it was unusually sturdy and firm, but, a few years ago, realising that I spend hours in my study each day - when I am home - it made sense to actually order a proper chair. Mine is an executive chair, - not a standard office chair - and I had it made in leather, with arm-rests, castors, a swivel function, capacity to tilt, and be raised and lowered, - and - above all - proper ergonomic and lumbar support, which is invaluable.

Yes, it was expensive, and yes, it was worth every penny, or cent spent.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yikes! Glad it works for you, I'd be miserable.

15. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I have considered working from home for the last several years but the problem is my current job isn't a work from home type of job.

What are some of the top companies that work from home or careers?

I have always assumed it is only for IT people and business owners.

16. Scepticalscribe, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Researchers, analysts, editors, writers, as well (may also work from home).

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

As a clinical pharmacist I sometimes have the capacity to work from home (via VPN and phone), and often answer questions at home when on-call.

There are some pharmacy jobs that allow you to work from home, mainly working for insurance companies talking to patients about treatment options/coverage. Sounds like a horrible job IMO and I'd not want to work regularly and live in the same house... I like working outside of my home.