Home Office - what to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eco, Aug 23, 2011.

1. eco macrumors newbie

About to build a homeoffice.

At home today:
    - 27" iMac, late 2010.
    - Magic Mouse
    - Wired keyboard with numerical pad
    - iPad 1:st gen

At work:
    - 13" MB Air (latest gen)
    - External monitor
    - keyboard/mouse
    - iPhone 4 or 5 (if it will arrive before mid october - fingers crossed!)
    - ?? (haven't started at new office yet...)

Wishlist:
    - A dock station so that I can use the MB Air with my 27" iMac as external monitor, as well as my mouse and keyboard.
    - A really nice desk that matches the setup... ;)

Any suggestions?

2. alex1913 macrumors member

alex1913

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is the home office for work work or just to have a place at home where you can futz around on the computer and maybe do some work after hours. If you're a full time telecommuter or you run a business out of your house then the efficiency of your setup is key. I've found this to be the case for myself.

For example, it is best to run a windows computer for my work since they're on a windows-only environment. I run a small windows box with dual ACDs (just happens to be ACDs that I use). The other side of my L-shaped desk is my 30" ACD with my MacPro, it's my "play" computer. My printer, scanner, router, network hard drive, etc. are in my closet. I have a phone for work and a phone for home.

Dumb question, can you plug a MBAir into an iMac and use the iMac as an external monitor?

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I personally use THIS laptop riser with my 11" Air. Next to my 20-inch Dell monitor, it serves as a nice email/calendar screen. For a desk, take a look at simple IKEA tables. I think mine was meant to be a garage workbench, but its black top and curved wood legs make a nice Apple desk-table.