Home on a Core 2 Duo MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nzoMD, Jan 23, 2008.

1. nzoMD macrumors member

I've been doing some research in preperations for my new MBP when they update their pro line. This lead me to a question I have struggled to find the answer to.

Windows Home XP SP2 at its initial release did not support multicore processors. Microsoft stated that it may run on multicore processors but it did not fully take advantage of the chip. Obviously, there has been a lot of updates from their initial release, and I am wondering if Windows Home fully supports multicore processors now?

I am a casual gamer, so having a OS that takes full advantage of my hardware is extremely important to me. Does anyone with a multicore processor MBP currently run Home and is experiencing slowness withing games?

On the other hand, Windows Professional fully supports multicore processors, and I run Pro on my PC with an AMD multicore processor and it runs great. OEM versions of Home and Professional are listed around $50 of a price difference, so I am better off just going with the sure bet with Pro?

2. esvee macrumors member

It supports it as much as you would need it to. The only difference youd see is if you were doing heavy duty number crunching, ie video/audio editing, things that involve rendering.