Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Hi All,

When I am on the MacRumors home page with Safari on my Macbook Pro it activates my nVidia discrete GPU. I know this is happening because I use the app gfxCardStatus which tells me whether my rMBP is using the integrated Intel GPU. This is a bad thing because it uses more battery juice.

It's a fairly recent development, it didn't used to happen but I'm sorry that I can't be more specific on a date. I don't know what element on the page is causing this but if anyone can advise on how to check I'm willing to try.

Thanks.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
That's the strangest thread title I've ever seen :p

I've just loaded it up in Safari on my rMBP and it didn't activate the discreet gpu - the macrumors homepage is hardly 'beefy' by any means - it must be a rogue flash advert.

Last edited by a moderator:

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Hi All,

When I am on the MacRumors home page with Safari on my Macbook Pro it activates my nVidia discrete GPU. I know this is happening because I use the app gfxCardStatus which tells me whether my rMBP is using the integrated Intel GPU. This is a bad thing because it uses more battery juice.

It's a fairly recent development, it didn't used to happen but I'm sorry that I can't be more specific on a date. I don't know what element on the page is causing this but if anyone can advise on how to check I'm willing to try.

Thanks.

Same here. Disabling Javascript helps. Also using ClickToPlugin, but it does not disable the element which is causing the switch to GPU.

If anybody knows a solution, please let us know!

Patrick

UPDATE: Use ClickToPlugin and on the General tab of the settings disable "Load plug-in if HTML5 conversion fails"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.