Home Recording and playback - Piano and voice

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by CampDavid, Aug 4, 2010.

1. CampDavid macrumors member

Hello

After a great deal of success on the iMac hardware front from another section of the forum my travels lead me here, to try and sort out the input and output side of things.

To set the scene, my girlfriend is a masters student in musical composition, a pianist and a full time music teacher. We've bought a base iMac which we'll fill full of memory to run Logic and Sibelius. The next job is to look at how we input and output sound from the Mac.

Input wise Helen would be using a Piano with Midi and a fairly standard mic, recording a wide variety of different pieces, all of which I have very little understanding of, being a tone deaf numpty!

Output wise, we will use it for listening to music at a moderate level (still low enough to be heard over) which will range from Bach to Radiohead.

From what I can make of it, I will need a basic enough interface, a decent pair of monitors and potentially an external soundcard, however I'm pretty confused.

Budget is naturally as little as possible :), we're happy to spend out on anything that's needed and we'll get benefit from, however me don't want to go over the top, GF has access to a studio and rather clever people for anything she needs to record at studio level, this will mainly be used for composition.

Thanks for all your help in advance

(I've had a search through and I've not found my answers, hence the post, if this is all covered elsewhere then sorry!)

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

For an interface that offers plenty of features, easy setup, and won't break your bank, I'd suggest you look at the Echo Audiofire4.

These can be found new on ebay in the $270 price range.

Good preamps, good analog-to-digital converters, MIDI, and absolutely "plug-and-play" because it uses the "CORE Audio" drivers built into OS X (that means no driver conflicts).

3. CampDavid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, this joker:

http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/echo-a...wire-audio-interface-preamps?___store=english

Looks pretty good, presumably this would be both for input and output?