Home repairs... replacing the top panel

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Singin Hobo, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Singin Hobo macrumors regular

Is it possible to purchase a new macbook top panel and install it yourself?

My sister just took her spider-webbed Macbook screen into the Apple store and they told her it was going to be $800-something to fix it. She's got another monitor at home that she can plug it into so it's still usable, but obviously she would really like a laptop, but she's not going to pay 70% of the price of the computer to get it fixed.

Any hope for the hopeless?

2. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

My experience with Apple laptops leads me to say yes you can replace it, but you better have some laptop disassembly experience. Usually to get to the point where the display can be removed, you have to dig in pretty deep to the rest of the laptop due to wiring and mounts buried inside.

3. Singin Hobo thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I checked eBay and found one unit for $250 that apparently comes with instructions for installing it. Does anyone know of a website where such things are traded or sold? A special Mac site where people sell their scraps or something?

4. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

you can buy a top panel on ebay then get the instructions to install on iFixit.com

5. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

ifixit.com sells parts and has step by step instructions on installing

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Yes, this is the way too go. Buy it cheap on eBay and do it yourself. I did that and used iFixit's guide and I was in business.