Home row of keyboard intermittently unresponsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PadreZippo, Mar 21, 2013.

1. PadreZippo macrumors newbie

Mac Book Pro, Mid 2009
    OS X 10.8.2

Hello,

I've been having this problem with my MBP pretty much since it arrived. After about a month or so of use, it stopped happening so frequently, but now it is back with a vengeance. ASDFGHJKL will randomly, intermittently stop responding. Sometimes they fail for just a few keystrokes, sometimes a few days. The time between it happening is sometimes minutes, sometimes months, but recently it happens on and off pretty consistently. Rapidly typing on the home row until it starts working again is usually all I can do to get the keys working again.

I've never spilled anything on the computer, and I always keep a keyboard cover over it to prevent dust and debris infiltration. I thought this might be causing it to overheat, but my temperatures have never been above safe levels, and it seems unlikely that it would cause such a consistent problem. My only other thought is a bad connection somewhere. I have a replacement keyboard ready to install, but the process for doing this myself is tedious at best, and may cause more problems than it solves.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think replacing the keyboard will solve the problem? I really don't want to gut the entire computer only to find the same thing keeps happening.

Thanks.

(for the record, it happened more than 20 times while typing this message)

2. MacKid macrumors 6502

Since it arrived from where?

3. PadreZippo thread starter macrumors newbie

from apple

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Try an SMC reset which helps when buttons do not respond,among other things.

It does not erase any data. Google SMC Reset and go onto the Apple Support page for instructions.

5. MacKid, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

MacKid macrumors 6502

They're still selling refurbs from 2009?

But if you did buy it from Apple, I'd suggest taking it in.

6. PadreZippo thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I bought it new, it's been doing this since 2009. It's not under warrantee anymore, so they wanted to charge me $586 for repairs, which is half its original cost...