Home Screen Resolution/Sizing Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jptruck, Sep 15, 2014.

1. jptruck macrumors newbie

A recurring issue with my Mac: upon waking from sleep mode, the top menu bar has either disappeared or stretched and the bottom bar has also gone of screen. I have to do a hard restart of the computer to fix it, but it's pretty constant. The pic shows the full left side of my screen when it happens.

Any suggestions or fixes?

Attached Files:

2. asriznet macrumors regular

Looks like you are running OS X Yosemite and seems like it's a graphic issue.

Is this issue only happening after upgrading to OS X Yosemite?

Try performing an SMC + NVRAM reset to see if the issue is fixed.

Which mac do you have? Do you have Automatic graphics switching turned on?Install gfxCardStatus and test it with "Integrated only" or "Discrete only" and see if it does the same thing.

Also run the Apple Hardware test to see if there's any hardware fault detected.

3. jptruck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply. I'm running a 2.7ghz Intel iMac made mid 2011 I'm running OSX Lion. The graphics issue is something that's been on and off for a couple of years. It's generally not a big issue, but it may be getting worse.

I did a NVRAM reset. We'll see if that works. For some odd reason, the Apple diagnostics did not take. I'll try again. Not sure if the automatic graphics switching applies to an iMac.

4. jptruck thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: The NVRAM fix did not stick. Back to it's old tricks. Having issues running the Apple Hardware Test. It won't initiate at start-up. Will try resolving that issue tonight.