Home Screen Rotation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Small White Car, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Has anyone come across a review yet that's talked about the home screen rotation on the Plus yet? Specifically if that can be disabled in the menu or not.

I'm not talking about rotation lock. I'm talking about turning that feature off, period.

I'm still considering the Plus but that might be a deal breaker for me if I can't turn it off.

I understand this isn't going to make it in to most reviews. Just wondering if anyone has seen something I missed.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

my guess is if you put rotation lock on, it will stop the rotation all together.

3. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sure, but that's what I meant by "deal breaker."

I'm not interested in spending my day turning RL on and off every single time I enter and leave an app.

4. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Why is it a dealbreaker? I am sorry, but I can't imagine why is it a problem. It might be a dealbreaker for my the other say around - the iPhone 6 doesn't have it so I might get the +.

5. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Accidental rotations are obnoxious when moving around with the phone. It's why I wish maps didn't rotate, incidentally. I HATE that maps rotates. (This is also why home screen rotation doesn't bother me on tbe iPad. I sit still with that.)

Now, most apps are fine because I'm not using them when I'm moving the phone around. Or they're games and don't rotate because they know you're moving a lot.

But the home screen is always used. I already know that this feature will drive me crazy. I will defiantly not consider the Plus if it can't be turned off.

Want proof? Even as short as the hands-on videos are I've already seen a bunch of those reviewers have to shake and over-rotate the screen to get the home screen back the way they wanted it after an accidental rotation. And those videos are all, like, 3 minutes long. It already looks obnoxious just from those videos alone.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Then just keep it off all of the time since clearly screen rotation bothers you so much. Will be just like every other iPhone you've owned that way.

7. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

But I need apps to rotate.

Is this a hard concept? I want apps to rotate but not the home screen.

Yes, I can spend all day turning the rotation lock on and off constantly. No, I don't want to do that.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

You're making an issue out of nothing tbh, just get the 6, your life will be less stressful.

9. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

I asked a question. Was curious if anyone knew the answer.

Thats "an issue?" Is that not what we're here for?

10. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm getting a Plus but am hoping just the home screen rotation can be disabled. For some reason I find it very tack and reminds me of my Android days (yuck).

You do know that if you keep rotation locked, if you're in an app and rotate your phone a little lock will show up in the middle of the screen and you can press it quickly and it will rotate for that instance? It's something to consider.

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Good tip, never knew that, thanks. Sorry OP, not trying to be rude, didn't see the issue, but now see that others do, my apologies.

12. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Never seen that. Is it a 5S-only feature? I'd love that.

13. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

Really? How do you do this?