Home screens limit

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by amcan12, Jul 31, 2008.

1. amcan12 macrumors member

I just found the hard way that Apple didn't remove 9 home screens limitation in 2.0 firmware. What a heck????

They sell countless number of apps, provide a lot for free and we can't get or buy more than fits on 9 home screens????

Is there any way to overcome this stupid limit without jailbreaking?

2. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Wow.
    9 Home screens....
    I've bought tons of apps and downloaded a good few too and I've still only got about 2 full pages (maybe not even).

I don't really understand how you fill up 9 screens without downloading every single free app and never removing it (like the crappy lightsaber app).

3. amcan12 thread starter macrumors member

Each screen can hold only 16 icons - 14 icons of apps are loaded by default as part of the firmware. Thus just default icons take almost full page. You are telling me that another 16 apps you purchased and downloaded is a "tons of applications"??? Are you joking?

I don't download or purchase any crap my friend - app store has now over a thousand of apps, many of them very useful. 9 home screens limit allows for only 110 icons beyond the default set - including applications and webclips.

For example I have almost 3 screens full of good games (all good classics, no lightsaber or anything such stupid), 1 screen of dictionaries and language tools (I travel a lot), over 3 screens of very useful utilities, financial and productivity apps.

Every day between 10 and 50+ new apps are added to AppStore - at least 10% of them very useful. But I can't get them now, unless I sacrifice some other stuff I already purchased and use daily.

No matter what you may think about having "tons of apps" on 2 screens it is not a lot my friend.

4. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

im more ticked off about the time it takes to sync all those applications, than apple actually limiting you to 9 screens

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

@amcan12: You use 110 apps daily?

EDIT: My fault, I mean 144 apps daily? 3 pages of games? You play three pages of games every day? BS.

6. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

yeah, what's your battery life like if you use that many apps daily?

7. amcan12 thread starter macrumors member

Your suggestion is to remove every day applications I may not use that day and install only those I will use that day??? Are you really that nut???!!!

Do you uninstall all apps you don't use every day from your computer too?

8. amcan12 thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't matter how many apps you use or have installed - battery drains based on how long you run it, not how many of whatever you run.

Do you even have iPhone or Touch or just "wait" for it like the other guy?

9. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

Why do you need all those dictionaries get rid of some 2 or 3 is enough.

10. amcan12 thread starter macrumors member

What you know about my needs?

Thanks for constructive advice...:mad:

11. ehsteve23 macrumors member

if you have a lot of webclips, maybe only keep the ones you use most often, and move the others into bookmarks in safari.

12. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

There's some good advice. Sorry if my earlier post seemed offensive, I really didn't mean it that way, I just couldn't understand 144 apps in use every day. Between moving web clips to bookmarks, and maybe removing a pages of games you use the least (maybe it's just me but I only have the attention span to play one to three games at a time.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

13. iMatrix macrumors newbie

Need more Home Screens

I think you are missing his point. I too have my screens nearly full. Because I have my apps organized in groups (home screens) there will likely be less than a full screen for each group, sometimes only 5 or 12 to a screen for organizational purposes. I have a total of 103 aps (includes stock aps). I have no clue at the start of my day which game or games or apps I might choose to use that afternoon. Why should I have to decide in the morning which ones to load and unload? I have several accounting programs, engineering programs, dictionary, thesaurus, Bible software that I'm evaluating and comparing, market analysis software, etc. I don't have a single program I'd want to remove at this point and likely will drop some more on there IF I HAD MORE HOME SCREEN. Asking another user why in the world they'd want more home screens is like asking "why do you need a workshop, I keep all my tools in a shoebox. LOL People differ, that's why Apple let us customize our screens, otherwise, why don't we just all use YOUR aps?!:D

By the way, I'm a mechanical engineer and software programmer turned pastor. What do YOU do for a living? I'll bet you have a very clean desk in your office. :eek:

14. amcan12 thread starter macrumors member

Before I spend $$$ on 3.0 update I need to know if Apple changed the limit of screens in version 3.0?

Also, did anyone find and can recommend an application to overcome the number of screens limitation by organizing apps into subscreens, folders, maybe a launcher, etc. which doesn't require jailbreaking?

15. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

There's no longer an app limit in 3.0. If you run out of screen space (now 11 screens), you can find the rest of your apps in spotlight.

16. 184550 Guest

If you need more than 144 apps daily, you just need to carry around your laptop IMO. Seems like that would be easier.

17. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

yeah, seems like its 11 screens now. i just put one icon on a screen and saw how many i could make :D

18. iMatrix macrumors newbie

No

I need all I have on my iPod touch and don't have time to sit down several times a week swapping programs and data with iTunes. Firmware 3.0 fixed the problem.