Home Security Camera

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by arggg14, Mar 30, 2016.

1. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Hey All

I'm looking for a security camera with continuous (not just when motion is detected) cloud recording features. Ideally, I'm looking for a device that can be programed to follow a schedule and only record during times of the day when I know nobody will be home. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Nest Cam, Canary, or Piper?

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Pretty much all systems I'm aware of can be set to not to record to record continuously (with scheduling) or only upon motion. I believe Nest offers continuous cloud recording for a monthly rate. Depending on how long you want the video preserved in the cloud, it can get expensive.

My parent's house was broken roughly 5 years ago (another story itself, but it was quite a surprise given the community). They have an alarm system, but we pretty much only use it when we're out of town for more than a couple days. Anyways, thereafter they installed a bunch of (power over Ethernet) security cameras that watch the outside of the house. The DVR had been cleverly hidden in the ceiling tiles of the basement. The DVR can be accessed directly, or through a computer on the local network- or can be setup to be accessed remotely (I imagine you run into remote access issues unless you have a static IP and know what you're doing with the firewall).

The Nest Cam and others rely on cloud storage which seems problematic if service drops out among other issues. Is there anything specfic you're trying to keep an eye on?

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I have/use the Nest Cam. I would not recommend it for any thing more than to have an eye around in an area. Here's why:

1. Cost. $10/month for cloud storage is pretty expensive for what you're getting. If you get more Nest Cam's, I believe there's a discount for each camera you add but still gets expensive.

2. Dependent on the cloud. If you're serious about home surveillance, you can't be dependent on the cloud, period.

3. Alerts. You only get one alert every 30 minutes. If there's motion detected, the app will log every motion but that requires you to be in the app. Say something triggers the motion alert (false alarm) and then 10 min later, someone really breaks in, you won't know.

4. All or nothing functionality. If it's on, it's recording. There's no option that I'm aware of that allows the camera to be on and not recording. There's times where I'm at home but I just want to view an area and don't need it to be recording taking up bandwidth.

5. Very limited customization. I like that you can set zones to focus on but it's almost wasted because you can still trigger the motion alert outside of the zone (why?) and send you an alert pretty much leaving you "blinded" for the next 30 min because "motion detected outside activity zone". There are other small annoyances as well regarding sound.

The one thing going for the Nest Cam is image, it's very clear on 720p and 1080p. Other than giving you a very simple camera to view your environment every so often, I would not recommend the Nest Cam for home surveillance. Even though Piper has it's fair share of issues, it's better suited as a security system than the Nest Cam is.

4. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

You should ask this on a mommy site. Lots of them monitor the babysitter/nanny activities. They have these kinds of things researched to death.

5. arggg14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ended up with the Canary and it's been great since I bought it in April.