Home Server Desktop Shortcut

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bossone, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Bossone macrumors member

How do I add (Mount?) my home server's hard drive on to my mac's desktop, just as is my Mac HD?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. Bossone thread starter macrumors member

I can connect to it with out a problem. I want a shortcut on my desktop so all i have to do is click on it, not click on finder, go, then connect to server. I can actually just click on the server on the side bar

4. nyrblue35 macrumors member

nyrblue35

This is a bump because i would like to know the same answer please. i mount my widows c drive from my macbook and would like to create a shortcut on my mac ddesktop. dragging doesnt help. please?

5. svenwillmann macrumors member

Does this what you are looking for
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4011

Otherwise you could write a little script for connecting to the server then save it as an application

6. nyrblue35 macrumors member

nyrblue35

that's close but i was thinking more along the lines of creating a shortcut on my mac desktop that points to my windows drive on another pc. I had a shortcut on my linux box that would mount the windows drive as soon as i double clicked on it. Thats really what im gunning for here.

7. svenwillmann macrumors member

What about writing a script and save it as an app on your desktop

Just tried it with one of my folders
    I used Script Editor

tell application "Finder"
    if not (exists disk "backup") then open location "afp://xserv.local/backup"
    end tell
    tell application "Finder"
    if (exists disk "backup") then open disk "backup"
    end tell

You will have to change "afp://xserv.local/backup" to something like smb://servername/sharename

8. nyrblue35 macrumors member

nyrblue35

that works well for me thanks. Is there anyway to change the app shortcut i created on the desktop now?

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

10. nyrblue35 macrumors member

nyrblue35

sorry about my confusing post. i meant i want to change the icon for the shortcut. right clicking doesn't give me any sort of option like that. TIA

11. nyrblue35 macrumors member

nyrblue35

excellent, thanks. Just outta curiosity besides looking at the applications folder where are all the snow leopard icons kept in the OS?

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

All over the place, but you can copy icons from just about anything, including your network drives. You don't need to go hunting for the original file.

You may also find Img2icns or Folder Icon X to be handy.

13. nyrblue35 macrumors member

nyrblue35

i used this script but i want to change "finder" to "forklift". after i change it i get a syntax error trying to run it. what else would i need to put? thanks again all.

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you are using 10.5 and above your servers will show in the Finder sidebar under Shared if they are bonjour or windows workgroup shares. when you connect to them the server icons can show on the desktop its just not enabled by default. enable it in Finder preferences.

Screen shot 2010-04-19 at 3.28.02 PM.png

or you can add an alias to the desktop to connect by dragging the mounted share from the Finder to the desktop while holding command+option.

Screen shot 2010-04-19 at 3.28.25 PM.png