Home "Server" Solution needed for Mac Pro, Mini and MBP...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dsa420, Sep 28, 2009.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

I am looking for the ideal storage solution to accommodate my Mac Pro, Mac Mini and Macbook Pro at home. Here is my current set up:

1. Mac Pro - 4 internal bays being used by small SSD's in RAID 0 striped array to run operating system and very minor local storage. 2 "hidden" SATA ports used by eSATA external enclosure.

2. Mac Mini - used as HTPC with external USB enclosure containing drives in RAID 0 striped array connected directly to Mac Mini.

Ideally I would like to have the drives accessible by both the Mac Pro, Mini and my MBP at the fastest possible speeds. I have the Mac Mini (HTPC) hard wired (not wireless) to my Airport Extreme.

I tried using the Mac Pro act as a file server and had the video streaming to the MacMini (HTPC) via the USB enclosure that was connected to the MacPro and the video would stutter (especially MKV's).

So, any reccomendations on solutions, RAID card, dedicated server, etc...

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I got an HP MediaSmart server to act primarily as a file server but it does media streaming as well and I'm sure some other fancy functions that I don't use. Also automatically converts video files to the appropriate format.

It has 4 hot swappable drive slots (well 3 since one contains the actual system) and runs Windows Home Server. It doesn't do raid which is the only drawback. It does folder duplication which will be sort of like raid 1 but only for specific folders. Large drives are cheap nowadays so I didn't mind. I used to have a raid 5 array.

It's pretty easy to setup and they recently announced upgraded versions. It's basically a NAS that I can access via wireless or gigabit ethernet. Does the job for me.

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

USB speeds were most likely the culprit, IMO.

However, for a server, grab a cheap processor (Intel/AMD, doesn't matter) and motherborad with as many SATA ports as possible and set up a ZFS RAID via OpenSolaris. Remember, Gigabite ethernet and port teaming are you friends.

4. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I just built a simple Hackintosh File server to act as a file server, TM backup, and general storage for my Mac Pro and MacBook. I built it for around $300. It has worked great so far. A plus with this option is you can build it with a case that can hold 10+ HDs.

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Mind sharing what parts you used for the Hackintosh?

6. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the fastest protocol for moving files around? Let's assume I were to build a home grown server with a bunch of SATA II drives connected to the board.

I would assume that the machines looking to send/receive the files should be connected to the "server" via ethernet?

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Yep. Using CAT5e or CAT6 cables and a gigabit ethernet router. Preferably one would use port teaming for increased transfer volume, but that would only be justified if one was port teaming on the MacPro or the server was being accessed by more than one computer at the same time.

Anyways, FYI, port teaming is linking up to an ethernet switch with more than one cable. Furthermore, the switch must support jumbo frames.

And transferring on SATA instead of USB would make a world of difference, too :)

8. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I used:

-ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
    -Intel C2D E5300 2.6GHz
    -Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit
    -GIGABYTE GV-NX72G512E2 GeForce 7200GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

there lots of tutorials on how to build one. Its not too bad. Just make sure you have the correct parts. You can you a purchased copy of Leopard and patch it yourself or download a patched version. I just use and AEBS and i dont have a problem moving files. I don't know if it is the fastest, but it isnt slow enough for me to notice. PM me if you have any questions. Thanks