Home Server

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Intel Inside, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

Hey, i have no idea ho a server works, could someone explain please?

The main reason im posting here is because i think a home server would work quite nicely at home. I want to use it as a web server to host my websites, to be able to access files on the go and to sync all the files i have. how would i go about this?

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Not worth it. But you could run an ftp file server.

If you want to run your websites, put them in your /var/www/ folder.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you want to be able to remotely access your files, consider a NAS. It's always on, so any computer on your network can access it (without turning on another computer, like if you were using a shared USB drive). Many of these can also be accessed remotely.

I agree with waloshin, I tried running a web server at home and it really was more trouble than it's worth. You can find decent web hosting (for a personal or family site) for around $100 a year without looking too hard.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

just a web server is not that hard to setup. infact, i have one set up.

but i'm not sure about accessing files though. there might be a way, i just have not tried

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Many ISP's do not allow you to run a web server (they filter inbound port 80 requests). Also since your upload is likely way less than download, sites will load slow for people. Pay the $7/mo and have hostgator.com host your site.

Plus, for a server to do what you are thinking (file access/sync) you really need to consider security. If a hacker gets in, how bad would that be? If you have no idea about servers, I suggest you read up on some guides before taking the plunge as it can be catastrophic if you don't do it right.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i agree with you. but if they block port 80, you can always use a different port

7. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Which isn't fun to set up...

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

One other problem with running a web server at home is even if your ISP allows port 80 up, most home internet connections have a terrible upload speed, which would make the web site very slow. If you don't care for the public to see it, and only want private access, that would be ok. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a good experience.

9. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I didn't even know about server until last month. :rolleyes: Still not sure what it is

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, but it's not that bad. i finally figured it out

true. but it just depends on how much traffic you have really. just a little traffic, it would be alright