iPad Home Share sorting useless

Discussion in 'iPad' started by emptysoul, Mar 9, 2013.

1. emptysoul macrumors regular

I have a large library of TV shows shared in iTunes that i'd like to be able to access from my iPad. I can connect to the library fine and can play my content but the way the video app sorts tv shows makes things difficult to find.

[​IMG]

As you can see the label just shows the season and not the actual name of the show. Thumbnails don't exactly load quickly so it's impossible to get to what you're looking for quickly. Does anybody know if the sorting or labelling can be changed?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to do it. It's very annoying that TV Shows depend on thumbnails to tell them apart, and you have a perfect demonstration of why. I'd send that picture to Apple feedback:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/

3. jdag, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

jdag macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue. And often, when I add new content into iTunes, the display within the iPad Videos app becomes mis-sorted.

What I need to do is log out of home sharing on the iPad, then sign back in. It fixes the problem until the next time I add more content into iTunes. Pretty annoying.

Luckily, my AppleTVs display properly, which is my primary concern and use of home sharing.

Her's a shot showing how the Videos app displays when unsorted...

image.jpg

4. jdag macrumors 6502a

And then immediately after logging out and then back into home sharing on the iPad...

image.jpg

5. emptysoul thread starter macrumors regular

I'm gobsmacked that a designer at apple thought that this would be an appropriate way to display TV Shows. Unbelievable.

6. emptysoul thread starter macrumors regular

Feedback sent to Apple:

I would like to provide some feedback on the Videos app on the iPad (iOS6) with regards to its usefulness when using Home Sharing.

Having recently purchased an Apple TV and iPad for my media needs, I thought that Apples integrated ecosystem would work fairly flawlessly ("it just works") but I was sadly mistaken. The Apple TV works wonderfully and is probably my best value for money purchase for years. However, the iPad is another story.

My complaint is about access to my Home Sharing library and the way in which the iPad chooses to display content. For movies this works perfectly byt for TV shows it is woefully inadequate and bordering on unusable. Please the the screenshot link http://i.imgur.com/gjllC7t.png

Given that it takes a while to load the thumbnails for even a moderately sized library and that the TV show titles are not displayed under the thumbnail, it is virtually impossible to navigate the library efficiently. How am I supposed to know which TV show is which without tapping on each individually to view the content?

It is also completely illogical to group all shows by season rather than title.

I don't mind the fact that the thumbnails don't load quickly so much but please give us the ability to sort our content in some sort of meaningful order. The fact that a designer sat with this solution and thought it was up to the Apple standard is quite mind boggling.

7. jdag macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sending that to Apple. My preference would be that the TV shows display similarly as they display in iTunes. So show 1 piece of artwork for the series, then when you open the series you can select a season. I believe that would be much more friendly than having multiple icons for each series.