Home sharing and Airplay insanely slow?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iphoneZ, Dec 25, 2013.

1. iphoneZ macrumors regular

Title says it all. New Apple TV. When trying to access my iTunes library on my laptop via home sharing, loading a 4 min mp3 takes about 5 min. Trying to play a HD movie it just never starts (insanely slow buffering?). And when I tried doing Airplay mirroring from my rMBP it could not keep up at all, it was stuttering doing like 1 frame per minute with a 5 minute delay.

Streaming from the internet to ATV works fine, pretty fast. My wifi router is Netgear WNDR3400v2 dual band n and I get around 25mbps on my laptop on http://speedtest.net. All my OS, iOS, and ATV OS are up to date.

Is there a fix for this? Or should I just return the ATV and wait for the next one?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

I'm sure returning it and waiting for the next one will fix it.
    What exactly do you think that will do? It's obvious it's not functioning normally, or everyone else has really really low standards for how they should work.

It sounds like a network issue, speedtest isn't really applicable here, since it tests your connection to the internet, but the speeds that are causing you problems are all inside your network.

Have you tried rebooting your router?
    Is the aTV buried in a cabinet full of metal or electronics? It's possible you've blocked its wifi signal.
    Do you know which network your devices are connecting to?
    Do you have any network traffic happening from your laptop? Time machine backups, file transfers, internet downloads?

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Temporarily hook up EVERYTHING on ethernet for grins.