Home Sharing and Parental Ratings

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rich1963, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Rich1963, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

Rich1963 macrumors 6502

I have noticed a problem when viewing videos under home sharing on my iphone 4. TV shows that I had not tagged with a parental rating do not appear in Home Sharing. I have looked through my list of 1200 TV shows and am missing all of the TV shows that I have handbrake'd and tagged myself that I failed to put a parental rating on. It is quite sizable.

Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone have a workaround? I do not have any parental safeguards activated on my iphone, nor in iTunes itself. It will show a TV show that has an R-rating, and one that has a G-rating. But it will not show one with no rating at all.

Well, I thought it was a parental ratings bug, but now I don't know what it is. It seems to show every item purchased through iTunes, but not every item I have placed in myself. Some of the items have iTunes ID tags on them, but don't show. Others lack an iTunes ID tag and a rating, but appear under home sharing. Thing is, the AppleTV shows them just fine.

2. Hardtimes macrumors regular

Having the same problem!

3. Rich1963 thread starter macrumors 6502

What's bizarre is there is no rhyme or reason that I can see. I consider myself pretty versed on tagging episodes of TV shows and movies. I can't seem to see the logic here. While it appears all of the items ignored are all lacking a parental rating (early tags before I became more proficient), it doesn't exclude all of them. Some of my earliest Handbrake encodes that aren't fully tagged and lack the parental restrictions do appear.

What is more interesting is what happened when I upgraded the ipad I own to iOS 4.3. It does display all of the TV shows, but they are out of order with regards to seasons and TV show name. I will have two seasons of one TV show, and then further down the list, there are 3 other TV seasons of the same show interspersed with other TV seasons of other TV shows. Very strange. While I need to study it further tonight, it does appear as though the TV seasons that the iphone has not displayed, are the ones that appear towards the bottom of the ipad's list.

I'm just glad there are others noticing this and it isn't a corrupt database issue or something else only affecting me.

4. Hardtimes macrumors regular

Problem solved!

Turns out Itunes wants you to fill out the 'Artist' field for it to work.

Just filled it out with the name of the show and it shows up!

5. Rich1963 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hardtimes - thank you very much. Now I can get my Top Gear fully loaded. I assume that movies aren't affected by this?

Once again, my warmest thanks. Now to tag approximately 350 TV shows that lack this field.

6. Rich1963 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is interesting that the ipad doesn't have a problem with the artist tag missing. I did check, though, and the ipad does show all of the missing TV shows lower in the list of TV shows, out of order from the rest. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that there will be a forthcoming update from Apple to correct this, be it for iTunes or the iPhone.