Home Sharing Between Mac and PC - only working in one direction

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erind, Aug 8, 2010.

1. erind macrumors newbie

Hi,

My man and I are finally trying to centralize our music and it involves taking it from my old Macbook (OS 10.4.something) and putting it onto his much more reliable PC with Windows XP.

Anyway, iTunes is all updated on both. Home sharing is activated on both. I'm logged in on both with my itunes account info. I can see the library from each computer on the other one. Things should be great! However, when I'm on my Mac and I click on his library, I CAN see the few files in there. But when I'm on the PC and click on the library on my mac, it says it's loading and then either 1) just hangs until it quits or 2) says that there's some firewall business going on and I should check to make sure everything allowed on both computers. Well, I did that. In fact, because I'm not the most computer savvy chick out there, I just turned the firewalls off on both computers.

I'm sure there is still some more messing around to be done, but here's my big question: Which computer do you think is having the issue? If the Mac can see the PC's library, but the PC can't load the Mac's library, which computer likely has some wonky settings?

Oh, and I did search through the forums (this is my first time here!) and I didn't find anything exactly like this. I have opened and closed iTunes a bunch of times, and turned home sharing on and off a few times since that has seemed to be some general advice out there. But it's still not working.

Any help you can give is much appreciated. My man is out of town and I would be so proud to solve this problem on my own as it were. Also, he hates Macs (boo!) and will mostly definitely not be helpful in this matter, instead just using this as one more piece of evidence to assail Steve Jobs' good name.

2. crypticlineage macrumors regular

First of all: You're in the wrong forum. Windows XP is more reliable than OSX? wtf?

3. erind thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump... Anybody have an actually useful idea? Or is crypticlineage representative of the state-of-the-art around here? The issue is that I can pull songs from the PC to the Mac but can't go in the other direction (even tho the Mac library is visible). BTW this is a really old Mac (2002 vintage) if it matters.