Home Sharing for Dummies

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Buckskin Bill, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Buckskin Bill macrumors newbie

Ok, I just figured out how to activate (successfully) home sharing. But, dumb question(s) time: if my wife's computer is sharing my itune library, then my computer has to stay on? Meaning, my wife can't listen to my library on her computer unless my computer is also on? Is there not a way she can listen to my library on her computer without me having to have my computer on?

thanks for your patience and understanding.

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

yes.

if you own an airport extreme or time capsule (or a NAS), there is a way though.

post back if you're interested.

3. simsaladimbamba

Yes, your Mac has to be running and not off or asleep, when your wife wants to listen to music on your Mac.

Either copy your music to your wife's computer or put the music onto an external HDD and connect the HDD to your wife's computer when yours is asleep or off.

You could also use a router which allows an external HDD to be connected and shared via the network.

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

Can you post how to do this? I have all my media on my MBP where I want it to stay, but I also want to let my son play some movies on his Macbook and my wife access content on her ipad. Home sharing works for this, but only when I have my MBP running.

So, can I copy my itunes library to a external HD attached via an Airport Extreme AND keep it on my MBP and let the Macbook and ipad access the library on the external drive?

How would I keep them in synch?

5. pink tree macrumors newbie

iTunes: he can share mine but why can't I share his…

My husband can access my iTunes with Home Sharing on his newish intel iMac. but i can't access his on my old G5. I don't see his imac under SHARED DEVICES in the iTunes (or Finder) sidebar. I have set my machine for file sharing but no joy.

Plse can someone suggest what preferences/settings I need to adjust. Or is Home Sharing something that only works on intel machines?

Thanks.

6. Buckskin Bill thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. We are such dummies. We both are new MBP users and we have a non-Apple external HD (MyBook Live) for backup and an Airport router. Pretty fancy, huh? Here's the dummy part: We don't know how to activate the backup so that our computers will perform backup. I'm more than sure it's elementary for many of you, but we're just dummies who like fancy toys.

My wife thinks she knows how to activate backup but her MBP is asking for her administrator password, and she's forgotten it. So, she has to figure out how to reset the password. But, assuming she can do this, that would only settle backup on her MBP. Where the heck (can I say "hell?") do I find the app, buttons, switches, etc. on my MBP to do the backup?

Our intention is to backup all of my iTune onto the external HD thus allowing my wife to have access to my library when my computer is not on.

Again, thanks for your understanding.