Home Sharing from an iTunes server / NAS with Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Matt T, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

I'm hoping to create a setup where I have my iTunes library stored on a NAS which features iTunes server support (WD MyCloud, for example) - and to be able to access that library from the 'Computers' app on my Apple TV 4th gen without needing to have my Mac switched on.

Can anybody confirm a setup like this would work? I understand I have other options like Plex but I would prefer to use home sharing if possible.

2. Rigby, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017

Rigby macrumors 601

This will not work as you imagine, since none of the NAS-based iTunes servers support Homesharing (only the old iTunes library sharing via DAAP, which is no longer supported by the ATV4).

You'll need a machine running iTunes to be able to stream using the native ATV apps. On some NAS models it is possible to run a virtual machine with iTunes, but setting this up is a bit more involved.

3. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

You an try out the Infuse app to see if it does what you want to do.

4. Tech198 macrumors G4

Most NAS's allow you it install apps. so unless these apps bring support directly, then i don't think its possible.

I have my QNAP, hooked up to Mac Mini, and all content is hosted on NAS only (purley because more storage than Mac) and no need for external drive coming off the back,