Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
CD quality music playback using Home Sharing, and the Computers app, on apple TV generation 4, after tvOS version 11.2.6, stops playing after one song. The Music app on apple tv which has low rez iTunes quality works fine.

I copy CDs using iTunes on my iMac and want to playback complete CD quality albums, without interruption, on my TV, using apple TV.

Worked fine, until I updated my Apple TV, after version 11.2.6 in July.

In a talk with apple service on the phone, they said this feature was removed by apple.

WHY???? I hate to click to play the next song! Also shuffle stops after one song!

I also can not downgrade my apple TV s/w back to version 11/2.6 using, a USB to mini usb C cable, because the old version is no longer validated using iTunes.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I wonder why would they say that?
I got curious and tested myself - tvOS 12 does not show any changed behaviour. HomeSharing music playback works as it always has been.

PS What format are your audio files in? My lossless files are encoded in Apple Lossles (ALAC).

Reactions: seanrt

Don C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
Most all my iTunes files are in AIFF, because if I burn Apple lossless files to a CD it will not play on all CD players.

Apple changed the home sharing music playback on the Apple TV computers app, after tvOS 11.2.6, and screwed it up for those of us with AIFF files.

I use to have no issues playing back my music on my apple tv.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
OK, seems that this feature change is format-specific then.
The burning to CD case remains unclear to me - CD disc needs to be in PCM 44.1/16 to be Red Book-compliant.
This means the burner software will need to uncompress any lossless files before writing to disc.
Are you saying, that you write AIFF files directly to disc and it plays in any player as CD-Audio??

Codexaudio

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
Aiff continuous playback using apple tv has been disabled as you correctly say, both the 1080 and 4k. You can still get continuous playback with iTunes and aiff using the apple tv's airplay from osx/ios. My library is mixed format, very annoying, I even subscribed to iTunes music as home sharing had become so irritating and later versions of tvOS 11 became very unstable.
TVos12 home sharing is stable and you can play one aiff file then .......
Check out Audirvana if you are serious about your music, add a DSD compatible amp and you won't be missing your apple tv.
LG OLED 56B
Apple TV 4k/1080
Yamaha RX-V583
Monitor Audio Bronze surround system

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Check out Audirvana if you are serious about your music, add a DSD compatible amp and you won't be missing your apple tv.
I play my DSD files directly from Serviio DLNA server (running on Mac Mini) to my AVR, nothing required inbetween. Same applies to Hi-Res PCM.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I guess the only answer is to highlight all of the songs and convert them to ALAC which IMO is fantastic. You'd need superman's ears to hear the difference between AIFF and ALAC.
Don't knock Apple's 256 AAC - some of their Mastered for iTunes recordings sound damn good and I reckon in some cases, better than the CD. As with iTunes Movies, Apple have very successful ways of compressing their given media!
There's a hell of a lot of poor sounding CDs out there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.