Home Sharing on 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vbmike73, Oct 27, 2011.

1. vbmike73 macrumors regular

I'm reading many posts from prior to iPhone 4s and IOS 5 release about people sharing their iTunes library with their iPhone while on the same Wi-Fi. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about streaming movies over 3G, just while I am home on my Wi-Fi. Is this possible with Home Sharing and not buying an additional app? I have Home Sharing turned on in iTunes because I have Apple TV. And I have it turned on in my iPhone under Settings and Video (used to be iPod prior to IOS 5). What am I missing here?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Open 'Music' and go to the 'More' tab on the bottom right. There you will see a 'Shared' option. Click it and then you can choose your shared library or your local library on your phone.

Of course to get shared to show up, Home Sharing needs to be turned on and logged in on both iTunes and your iPhone. You will also need to have iTunes open and the machine on.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

This has been in iOS for a long time. Since iOS 4 I believe, at least since the second Apple TV was released.

4. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

See that's what I can't get to work. When on my WiFi, I go into Music, under more, and do not see anything about shared library. My iMac is always on, and iTunes is open. Is there something else I'm missing? I would love to be able to get music and video.

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

If you're on a Mac, open iTunes and look for 'Advanced' in the Finder window. Look for 'Home Sharing' and make sure you're signed in. After that, go to Settings>Music>Home Sharing on your iPhone and make sure you're using the same ID you used in iTunes. If all those are good, it should "just work". I know it works well on 3Gs' as my wife used to use it all the time.

Here's a link to Apple's Home Sharing support page:

http://www.apple.com/support/homesharing/

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Did you enter your Apple ID and password in Settings, Music, Home Sharing? You said you did it in Video, there is also one in Music.

7. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

yes, it's in both. Home Sharing is working and turned on because I can access everything from my Apple TV. So it makes me think it's a iPhone issue.