Home Sharing on new Apple TV -- working for anyone?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MattG, Nov 5, 2015.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Just curious if anyone else here has it working.

I just bought two new Apple TVs. They are on the same wireless network as my Media PC, which is running the latest and greatest iTunes. Home Sharing is definitely turned on. My MacBook Air, also on the same wireless network, sees it just fine; I can browse media, play music, etc.

Neither of my new Apple TVs sees the Home Share. When I click on "Computers" it just shows that "Turn On Home Sharing In iTunes" screen, as if I haven't turned it on. I've tried signing out and signing back in on both units, as well as on the Media PC...nothing.

2. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Works fine for me, computer and apple tv are both wired into the same router through Ethernet.

3. SurfMacJpMtb macrumors member

SurfMacJpMtb

Yes, music, movies, TV shows are dependable, but Photos are not dependable unless I visit the menu selection and tweak it twice

4. Chung123 macrumors regular

Chung123

I remember having a frustrating experience like this and ended up having to rename my Mac's network name and everything worked perfectly after that.

5. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Thing is, the box running this is a Windows PC. All my other Apple devices see the share just fine...my MacBook, my iPhones, it's just these damned Apple TVs!!!

Windows Firewall is off, computer is patched and updated. I guess I could try renaming the PC itself, to see if that helps? Funny thing is, back when I had the older Apple TVs, this all worked.

6. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I had problems getting an ATV3 seeing Home Sharing last week, to resolve it all I had to do was restart the Bonjour service on my Windows PC that iTunes was on:

Start > type: "Services.msc" > locate "Bonjour", right-click and select Restart

7. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

I'll try that however, I have rebooted the box several times...and the thing is, other devices are seeing the Home Share! Just not ATV!

8. Denziloshamen macrumors member

It's definitely bonjour on your windows pc. Used to happen all of the time when I had a small desktop PC to run iTunes for the Apple TV. I eventually got a Mac mini after the last update and all works perfectly for me now (streaming even continues to work when the Mac mini is in sleep mode). This doesn't help you of course.

So the thing for you to investigate is bonjour. Add it to your firewall to make sure the network doesn't block it.

9. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Works great for me. That being said, I ended up switching over to Plex for the added functionality it provides.

10. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm confused as to how it could be Bonjour when all the other devices in my house are seeing the share? It's just the Apple TVs that aren't working. If Bonjour were broken, wouldn't the other devices not be able to play stuff from it?

11. dusters711 macrumors regular

I had MAJOR issues with this with the ATV2 way back when I first got them because of my Windows PC. I even had to roll back to an older version of iTunes for a long time. I found that when I unchecked IPV6 in my internet connection everything worked perfect then for years! It's been so long ago that I did it I don't remember all that I did but I tried everything and I believe that was what fixed it. I hope I'm remembering correctly though. I have no issues with the new ATVs because I now have an iMac, but I remember spending hours on this issue a few years ago.

12. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Home sharing only works for me if iTunes is open on my mac. If I close iTunes it stops working.

13. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Yes that is the way it works

14. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Ha never knew that. First time I ever used home sharing though.

15. Denziloshamen macrumors member

Open iTunes and sleep your Mac. Home share will still work and you'll save a bit of power.

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

Can you do that with a MacBook Pro as well ?

17. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Yes, and more stable and faster than any prior ATV I've owned (I've owned them all).

In fact, the Home Sharing stability and speed is one of the major pluses of the new Apple TV IMHO.

BJ

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

Mine works fine for me although I do have a MacBook Pro.