Home sharing plays audio but no video

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ballpark1313, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ballpark1313 macrumors member

I am trying to use home sharing to play the home videos I have through the apple tv. I have a 2nd gen apple tv. I'm 99% sure it is because I have a new HD video camera and the apple tv can't do the 1080p.

When I play the videos through the apple tv it only plays the audio and no video. The way I worked around this before I had to go into imovie or itunes and lower the quality so it could play on the apple tv.

My question is if I were to upgrade to the 3rd gen apple tv, will my home videos play or will I still need to go into either itunes or use imovie to lower the video quality so the movies will play on the apple tv?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a canon vixia hfr21 video camera. I use imovie to import the videos and I use the highest quality when importing then I drag the files over to iphoto so I can share them and put them on my ipad and iphone.

thanks again

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Your videos need to be formatted H.264 for playback on the ATV. Handbrake makes this very easy.