Home Sharing Question (NAS related)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarkF52, Sep 17, 2009.

1. MarkF52 macrumors newbie

Any idea how iTunes 9 Home Sharing would handle media on a Network Attached Storage Drive? Suppose I change the location of my media to the NAS in iTunes settings and then set up Home Sharing. Then I add a song to one machine the song gets added to the library file the .mp3 gets copied to the NAS. If Home Sharing is on and they all refer to the same location for the media files, how would iTunes on the other machines handle that? Would it just add it to the library files on the other machines and see that .mp3 file is already in the proper location on the NAS drive?

Anyone in this situation and try it?

Thanks.

2. Nicon macrumors newbie

Good question.

Any luck finding the answer yet ?

N.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Correct me if I am wrong but home sharing only handles purchased media. I was in the same boat. I thought it would share media, ripped or not, to all the machines that I have on the home share network. It doesn't. Unless there is something that I am not doing.

I am in the same boat as you, I have my iTunes library on an external machine. I was hoping this would lead to something like a home server edition of iTunes. But it doesn't look that way.

4. MarkF52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh, I didn't realize that it was just purchased media. That makes far less helpful.