Home sharing w iPad(2)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brudog68, Mar 7, 2011.

1. brudog68 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How will this home sharing work with me having a pc and a new ipad2? I've been reading a little about pogo plug in an attempt to need less storage space on the new iPad. Will home sharing also be an option for this ?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

iTunes Home Sharing will make your iPad into a portable Apple TV around your home wile on WiFi.

Whatever content is on your computer (movies, music, podcast), you will be able to stream it direct to your iDevice, and if you don't have an Apple TV, you can buy the Apple Composite/Component Cable and mimic the same functionality (minus the remote and pretty UI) on your tv.

3. brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks !!!

4. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

So it only works if you're on the same network? I can't get on any WiFi network and stream my content from my home computer to my 3G iPad or my iPad on any other WiFi network?

5. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

That is correct - you cannot do that. You have to be on the same network for this service to work.

There has however been A LOT of talk of Apple retooling the MobileMe/Cloud services to allow you to stream your content from any internet connection.

Cheers.

6. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

it's weird because I could play any file (video or audio) I put in my iDisk from my iPhone (3GS at the time) ANYWHERE including on 3G. Not worth $100 MobileMe just for that though. I'll wait :rolleyes:

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

the rumor is that it will be made a Free service.

8. afousek macrumors member

Excuse my ignorance, but I still don't fully understand the benefit of this. I've got a Macbook Pro with iTunes with all of my media (music, I don't have music or tv shows) on it. I keep all of that content on my iPhone as well. If I sync all of my existing content to my new iPad as well, does home sharing benefit me?

9. BrennerM macrumors regular

If you want to save space on the iPad and have content that you only use while at home, Home Sharing can help you do that. If you absolutely must have all of your music & videos in your iPad's memory, Home Sharing will be of no benefit to you.

For example, I have many seasons of various TV shows ripped from DVD into iTunes. They are too big to sync all of them to my iPad so I use a smart playlist to sync a smaller random selection of them. With Home Sharing I can now watch any episode I want (but only when I am at my house).

10. afousek macrumors member

Makes sense, thanks for the reply.

11. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

There do exist apps that allow you to stream from your iDevices. I personally use Zumocast but I'm sure more exist. They're convenient for when you want to stream any file on your computer.

12. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

There's also plex which I found tends to be a bit more stable than zumocast and I'm pretty sure it can work outside of your home network.

13. NoShoreGuy macrumors regular

I have an imac (on my third floor) and a macbook pro (on my first floor)......when I turn on home sharing I see my library on my macbook, however if I put my imac to sleep it's gone from the macbook. Is there any way to keep it on even if the imac is off or in sleep mode?

Thanks!

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

About "Wake on Demand"
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

On your Mac, go to System Preferences> Energy Savers (though I think you also need to have an Airport Base Station)
    [​IMG]

15. NoShoreGuy macrumors regular

16. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Air Video or Stream to Me are two of the best. Both of these install a server application on your computer that makes connecting off network much easier (rather than manually configuring your router for port forwarding as is required by PLEX). I have both but generally use Air Video--works great, converts on the fly so you can even play media that hasn't been converted to an iDevice friendly format. Air Video can even play video over AirPlay. Only downside is neither can play DRM (iTunes purchased) content.

17. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Make sure they are on the same network.. and home sharing is turned on, on the PC... DONE.