Home Sharing: What gives with ripped TV episodes?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zama36, Mar 10, 2011.

1. zama36 macrumors member

I have several seasons of Battlestar Galactica that I have ripped from my DVDs using Handbrake with the Apple Universal preset. This content is shared via home sharing on my Mac Mini which I use as a media center/DVR (EyeTV, etc.). I am able to view this content on my MacBook Pro.

With the introduction of iOS 4.3 I was expecting to be able to do the same on my iPhone with home sharing, but this unfortunately isn't the case. None of this ripped content is even displayed in the shared library on the iPhone.

However, if I change the type of video file from TV episode to movie in iTunes this content becomes available on the iPhone. What gives? Are there some metadata tags that need to be changed? If so, what? And what is the best software to do this?

I can't be the only one experiencing this?

2. BrennerM macrumors regular

My ripped TV episodes all show up on my iPad via Home Sharing under 4.3. I have about 12-15 seasons of various shows. I have not actually tested every episode of course but I tried a couple and they worked fine. I have all relevant tags set including show name, season number, and episode number.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

when you rip a dvd and add it to iTunes, are you adding all of the correct information?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

All mine are showing up. Saying that, it doesn't give the name of themshow under the thumbnail, only the season, so needed to lob in artwork, to differentiate.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

See this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1113364

6. zama36 thread starter macrumors member