Home sharing with ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jealousguy86, Mar 16, 2011.

1. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

So i know i'm late to this whole home sharing stuff. i turned on home sharing on my itunes, my remote app on my ipad and all that.

it's working now, but it seems my macbook and itunes has to be open at the same time, so it works like remote basically, except it can play it on your mobile device (ipad, ipod, iphone etc.).

is there ANY way possible to achieve this without having to keep my macbook opened? it'd be nice to be able to put it to sleep or close it or whatever and then use my ipad around the house and be able to play music from my itunes library. i don't want to put my library on my ipad, as it wouldn't all fit.

thanks for any help

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Uhh, not if the music is on your macbook. You'd have to have it on a network storage device or something I believe.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Even if you kept all of your media on a external drive (or time capsule), iTunes still needs to be the middle man and for that your Mac/PC and iTunes must be kept ON.

4. jealousguy86 thread starter macrumors 6502

so even if my itunes is an open app, and i close the macbook, which i guess closes the use of itunes, that makes it not work i'm seeing.

what if i had my ipod touch 4g do it? i can't figure out how to work that..

thanks for the help

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

the problem is what when you close your MacBook it turns off its WiFi signal, so your iDevice doesn't see it as an option for Home Sharing. Closing the lid is the same as turning it off.

If your worried about wasting energy, you can leave your MacBook ON but lower the brightness down to Zero or go to your "Energy Savers" settings and have your Display or Computer go to Sleep after X minutes. Even though your Mac is Asleep, you can still access its content from an Apple TV or iDevice using Home Sharing.