Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Absolute Zero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2004
Massachusetts
I was digging around in the Menu Extras folder in /System/Library/Core Services, I found a menu extra called 'Home Sync'. I have it running right now... it doesn't seem to do anything yet, though. Some screenshots:

homesync1.png

The menu... Clicking Homy Sync Preferences takes you to the Accounts pane in system preferences (without any info on Home Sync at all) and clicking Sync Home Now opens this window:

homesync2.png

This is what comes up when you click Sync Home Now...

And digging around a little further, in the package contents of /Library/PreferencePanes/Accounts.prefPane, I found a file called MobilityPrefsDefaults.plist... hmm...

(I'm running 10.4.6 on a PowerBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz. It may be different on other systems...)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
HomeSync is, however, a new feature in Mac OS X 10.4 Server and not enabled in the client version.

That article blurb is wrong.

Home Sync is used with the Active Directory plug-in on Mac OS X clients.

How do I know this? All my user's Macs have been using it to sync their local home directory with their networked home directory since Tiger came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.