Home theater and desktop

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by svindal1, Nov 1, 2011.

1. svindal1 macrumors newbie

Hi.

Are there any way, with the new thunder bolt, to buy a Mini, set it up under my TV(with optical audio and HDMI) and at the same time use it with an external screen? This without swapping cables etc. every time.

Want a new media computer, and want to be able to use it to text editing when not watching a movie or so.

Thanks!

2. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I would think so. The current Mac mini has both Thunderbolt and HDMI ports on the back. I don't know if it would support both displays at once, but you should be able to select which display to use via the Displays panel in System Preferences and leave them both plugged in.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You can use both at the same time. HDMI is limited to 1920*1200 and the Thunderbolt port 2560*1600.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have this setup with a 2010 mini. I use a HDMI-HDMI cable to connect to the HDTV and use a MDP-DVI cable for the computer display. I run Plex to manage my movies and TV shows from the mini to the TV, while still being able to work on the mini while a movie is playing. It works quite well.

5. svindal1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! Just saved me the expense of buying two machines. But instead of MDP I can just use a long thunderbolt-cabel and connect it on a screen with dvi?

Thanks!

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Considering the costs involved, you probably would be much better off with a long MDP cable. Check Monoprice for the best options on cables. I bought a 15' cable MDP-DVI for about $10 + shipping.