home theater guru's ( AUDIO SETUP)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by alecmcmahon, Apr 23, 2008.

1. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

im looking to purchase an home audio system, nothing to fancy, just whatever gets the job done.

what the equip. will be

47" HD tv

Playstation 3 ( For the blu ray play back )

, now im looking to get a home thearter systems ( 5.1) that i can use for watching tv and i can also use for the playstation.

im not sure how all the connections are going to work utilizing the HDMI?

if somebody could please reccomend what im looking for here, hopefully around the 300 dollar mark.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Sounds like you're looking for a surround sound receiver and speakers. You can get a decent receiver with HDMI connections for $300, but that same money won't buy you much if you need speakers, too.

You're likely going to be limited to home theater in a box (HTiB) systems, which are generally limited to the number of components they will support.

3. alecmcmahon thread starter macrumors regular

gotcha, and i really dont mind a in a box setup up, i've been browsing new egg.

im just trying to figure out the connections.... for example.

hook the ps3 to the tv via HDMI, hook the HTiaB system to the tv via audio out jacks.

on the tv settings change the default speaker setup to the outputs, ... and that should be it right? all tv will go through the speakers as well as the ps3? ( will that utilize the 5.1 audio though? )

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Okay...

The PS3 has an optical audio output that you would connect to the receiver for 5.1. You can also transmit audio over HDMI if the receiver you purchase supports audio over HDMI (not all do). But in either case, HDMI will give you best picture quality out of PS3 and will allow output a 1080p video signal as well, even if you do have to run audio separately over optical.

If you plan on connecting your iMac to the system, I'm pretty sure that you'll be limited to analog audio only (I have the same machine you do and I don't recall it supporting digital audio out).

5. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Bose.

You don't need to spend shed loads on an Audiophile system if your just going to pump away at games fella. Bose strangely works very well with games.

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

A complete Bose 5.1 system for a $300 US budget? Don't think so.

7. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

ah sorry mush hadn't seen that he'd posted a budget of $300. You can still pick up an old bose on eBay for that price though.