Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Alright. an update on the situation. I did a hack job of what I had in mind for the room. hopefuly it will make sense to you guys.

now what im wondering is, I want to put a Mac Mini in this setup and hook that up to the projector. As long as I have my Main files on my PC or G5 and I have the Mini in the network, then I can technicly, hook up the Mini to the projector, sit on my couch with wireless keyboard and grab the files from the network and view them via projection right? (Alot will be video's ive edited and such, kinda like a screening room so I can see my files nice and big)

RoomDone.jpg

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
illegalprelude said:
Alright. an update on the situation. I did a hack job of what I had in mind for the room. hopefuly it will make sense to you guys.

now what im wondering is, I want to put a Mac Mini in this setup and hook that up to the projector. As long as I have my Main files on my PC or G5 and I have the Mini in the network, then I can technicly, hook up the Mini to the projector, sit on my couch with wireless keyboard and grab the files from the network and view them via projection right? (Alot will be video's ive edited and such, kinda like a screening room so I can see my files nice and big)

The only problem with hoking up a current Mini, is no HD. Depending on what kind of projector you get, you should be able to hook up a mini, no problem. My projector (NEC VT540) has connects for S-Vid., Composite, and VGA. Just run some CAT6, and streaming video shouldn't be a problem. O-ya, mount the projector on the ceiling, and get it some ventilation. My living room turned into a oven some days...

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
strydr said:
The only problem with hoking up a current Mini, is no HD. Depending on what kind of projector you get, you should be able to hook up a mini, no problem. My projector (NEC VT540) has connects for S-Vid., Composite, and VGA. Just run some CAT6, and streaming video shouldn't be a problem.

ok very cool. thats what I thought. Any kind of ideas, suggestions and etc for my idea cause thats the rough idea I had but im still kicking things around. so any other input would be great too :)

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
illegalprelude said:
ok very cool. thats what I thought. Any kind of ideas, suggestions and etc for my idea cause thats the rough idea I had but im still kicking things around. so any other input would be great too :)

OK, some more food for thought. My projector (NECVT540) outputs 1000 Lumens ( I know there are much more powerfull projectors out now). This is not enough overcome a bright day outside. My last apartment was known as "the Cave", cause I had to black out the living room to watch anything on it. I have retired the projector (for now), and bought a 42" HDTV for my living room. I will still setup the projector (for big games, or movie night), but I love being able to watch TV in the daylight now.
Did I mention the thing heated my living room up way too much??

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
You might also want to consider a component switch if your reciever does not have any (or enough) for the DVD player, XBOX, and PS2. Because you're going to want to use component cables for them for the best image (said the guy who has not yet got the component cables for his Gamecube :p ) without all the plugging and unplugging.

For example a quick search on amazon finds this 3 component switch and this one too.

EDIT:
If you plan on painting a wall you might want to consider looking at some of the paint formulas here.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
strydr said:
OK, some more food for thought. My projector (NECVT540) outputs 1000 Lumens ( I know there are much more powerfull projectors out now). This is not enough overcome a bright day outside. My last apartment was known as "the Cave", cause I had to black out the living room to watch anything on it. I have retired the projector (for now), and bought a 42" HDTV for my living room. I will still setup the projector (for big games, or movie night), but I love being able to watch TV in the daylight now.
Did I mention the thing heated my living room up way too much??

Yeah that and the cost of replacing a dead bulb are the drawbacks for projectors, I was lucky with the townhouse I bought having an unfinished windowless room in the basement. Never had a heat problem though.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Motley said:
You might also want to consider a component switch if your reciever does not have any (or enough) for the DVD player, XBOX, and PS2. Because you're going to want to use component cables for them for the best image (said the guy who has not yet got the component cables for his Gamecube :p ) without all the plugging and unplugging.

For example a quick search on amazon finds this 3 component switch and this one too.

EDIT:
If you plan on painting a wall you might want to consider looking at some of the paint formulas here.

thats actually not too bad. Yea, I have component everything. from dvd to PS2 and X-box. not for my gamecube(hardly ever touch it, why i didnt even put it in my picture, otherwise it would be above the Mac Mini) but Component for the win :D
My Onkyo Reciever had 3 compoent in and 1 DVD in (with component) so I think im fine...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Anybody tried Screen Goo? I'm trying to find a cheap alternative to projection screens, so looking at painting a wall instead with either matte white paint or if it's worth it to buy specialized projector screen paint.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Lacero said:
Anybody tried Screen Goo? I'm trying to find a cheap alternative to projection screens, so looking at painting a wall instead with either matte white paint or if it's worth it to buy specialized projector screen paint.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

check out the link I put in the 1st post for some ideas. thats what im going to do personally

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
illegalprelude said:
check out the link I put in the 1st post for some ideas. thats what im going to do personally

Please tell us how that goes. Some guy at Bose was trying to convince people that's better than a projector. Would love to know if he's right or not.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I have:

Rotel RSP-1066 5.1 Processor,
Rotel RMB-1075 5x 120watt Power Amp,
NAD C541i CD Player,
Toshiba DVD Player,
Sony Home Cinema Projector (16x9),
100" Wide aspect Luma Draper Screen
B&W DM602 S3 Front Speakers,
B&W LCR600 Centre Speaker,
B&W DM601 S3 Rear Speakers,
B&W ASW650 Active Sub

it sounds awesome for movies but not very good for music.

I have x2 Custom Built 15watt Monobloc Poweramp's with Svetlana 6550 Russian Tubes, x1 Creek OBH22 Passive Pre-Amp a Project Debut III MK2 Turntable and the NAD CD Player plugged into it - I want to sell my Cinema Setup and get some B&W 703 speakers

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.