Home theater speaker recommendation

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mr99, Jun 30, 2014.

1. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I've got about $400 to spend on a pair of floor standing home theater speakers.

What's the best speaker for my buck? I've got a theater setup in my basement being ran off of a pioneer VSX-519. I have a HSU STF-2 sub.

2. Julien, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Speakers (transducer) are the most subjective equipment in the audio chain. So no one can tell you the best sounding or best speaker.

A good choice in you price range would be Pioneer's designed by Andrew Jones speakers (only the speakers designed by him).

EDIT: Here is the highly rated SP-FS52 tower speaker that will be under $300.

3. mr99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm confused by your post. I am looking for a recommendation for a tower speaker. I already have the sub and will be adding surrounds soon. I have budget to upgrade my front 2 towers at the moment.

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Reread, I edited my post including a suggestion.

5. Irishman macrumors 68030

Funny that you should recommend those Pioneers. I have the entire set (minus the sub, because, as you point out, the sub is not on par with the rest of the system, and the OP already has a great sub in his Hsu)!

You can't go wrong with them, unless your room is huge (open floor plan, etc), or you like playing for hours at reference volume! (85db or higher)