Home Theater System advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jan 1, 2010.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm looking to upgrade my surround system without spending too much money, just some better speakers than the pretty crappy ones I have now and a receiver that can do HDMI switching. Even though I have Blu Ray, I think I want to stick with a 5.1 system (as opposed to 7.1) because I don't have enough room for additional speakers.

I think I've narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-...stem/9342071.p?id=1218088196263&skuId=9342071

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700HTG5/Denon-and-Klipsch-Home-Theater-Bundle.html?tp=6419

They both have the same Denon receiver, but one has Boston Acoustics speakers, and the other has Klipsch speakers, and there's only a $30 difference. Is one of them better than the other one? Or is there another system within the same price range that you'd recommend? Thanks

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i haven't tried out any of the speakers but generally their is a different warmth to the sound when comparing speakers of dif brands.(ie. Sennheiser is bassy, klipsch is always "bright")

EDIT: it appears that the Boston Acoustics has a a bigger subwoofer. but they both use the same power. can't u listen to these in store? Because there isn't much more that i can say over the internet without hearing these first.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks for the advice, I know giving advice for something like this over the internet is nearly impossible.

I could go into Best Buy and listen to the Boston Acoustics system (assuming they have a demo set up) but I've been trying to track down that Denon/Klipsch bundle in stores to no avail, I think it's a Crutchfield-only thing.

You said that Klipsch is known for being bright, do you know what Boston Acoustics are known for being?

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

No, i have never heard any boston acoustics speakers so i wouldn't know what kind of sound signature they have. u could do some googling around. also, check out some forums that might be better suited to answering question like yours.

5. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I'd go with the Klipsch. Awesome speakers and a great bang for the buck.

6. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'd go with the receiver (as long as it does PCM/TrueHD/etc.), this will keep you future proofed with sound formats on Blu-ray's. Then, I'd get the Energy Take 5 system. Same size speakers, with glowing reviews. Then, I'd spend a little more on a good sub, because any 3 of the speaker sets listed will not be able to go "low." For that, I'd look for a Bic H-100 or another <250 sub. I think they had the Energy 10"/12" subs for 200 shipped on Amazon recently.