Home Theater System for MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bayareastudent, Apr 29, 2011.

1. bayareastudent macrumors newbie

Hi,

Newegg has some incredible home theater system prices.

I think I'm putting together a system w/ YAMAHA RX-V567 and 2 Polks60s.

Does any one have this setup? I'm not getting a sub right now as I don't have enough money, but maybe later... Anyways, I can't figure out what's the best connections or how to connect to my MBP?? I read somewhere about Toslink or something? HDMI? Are there seperate cables that I need to get?

I'm upgrading from logitech computer speakers, so I'm not entirely familiar...

Thanks for your help.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

What sort of output device are you setting up? A projector? HDTV? Or are you using your MBP as the video device and only hooking up to the receiver and speakers for audio?

You will probably want a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor, then feed the receiver from the MacBook Pro using HDMI and then send an HDMI output from the receiver to your TV.

If you are only using the receiver and speakers for audio, and watching on your MBP screen, then a TOSlink cable should be sufficient to send the digital audio signal to your receiver.

3. bayareastudent thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm planning on watching movies, playing music through my laptop, and maybe setting up a HDTV if I have the money sometime later..

Cool.. that helps...

Anyone own these and use it with a MBP?

4. J.W.Pepper macrumors newbie

Too Much?

That setup might be overkill for watching movies on a MBP. Since the screen in relatively small, you will need to sit closer to the screen than you would with a larger HDTV. Up close and/or in a small room you really don't need speakers that large (or a receiver that powerful). I would maybe consider getting a full set of smaller surround sound speakers. I personally would rather have okay surround sound than great stereo sound, especially for movies. Maybe these: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM...UTF8&coliid=IPLKOXTBWE9BO&colid=2MT59SNJRFRKL

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup, thats a better solution for movies. The surround sound would be great. Unless you want to go for some high quality sound, 2.0 audiophile stuff. In which case your looking in the wrong direction with both the speakers already mentioned.

6. trip1ex macrumors 68000