Home Video DVD frustration

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Drifte, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Drifte macrumors newbie

I am currently collecting all my families DVD home video. These were recently converted to DVD from VHS using a samsung vhs/dvd player/burner. Now the DVD opens itself with "DVD Player". Nothing I have found supports the dvd otherwise. Just dvd players. I cant open it in Premier cs4, Itunes, Imovie. I dont have "access priveldges" to do anything with the dvd file after I simply copy it to my HD. If i open the DVD file its empty. I tried Macthe Ripper to see if I could convert it to a format I could use but it wont open either in Premier or anything else.
    File types it saves as:
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.VOB

and repeat. What am I missing?!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Use MPEGStream clip to convert the DVD into a useable codec.

Lethal

3. Mattaut macrumors regular

Download MPEG Streamclip
    Open up the VOB file in MS
    Go to File->Export to Quicktime
    If HD space is not a problem then compress using Apple Intermediate Codec or DV, if you want to conserve HD space then H.264 is good.

4. Drifte thread starter macrumors newbie

So the only way is with MPEG Streamclip and with that I then need to purchase The Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component.

The thing thats so irritating is my cousin (who is a tool) with his dell laptop took these files right off the dvd and could do whatever with them.

5. Drifte thread starter macrumors newbie

This may actually work without purchasing the Apple QuickTime MPEG-2...?

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you want to edit the files do not, under any circumstances, use h.264. If you just want to make versions of the DVD to watch on your iPod or something then Handbrake might work out better than MPEG Streamclip.

Lethal

7. Drifte thread starter macrumors newbie

Holy smokes, so far its worked. I havent run it through Premier yet, but the DVD is now on my hd and I am watching it in quicktime. The goal with this is to collect video involving my grandfathers for sort of a memorial for my grandmas to watch. If it all works out it will be a combination of pictures ond video made to play in a dvd player.

Thanks to all the help so far!